Sunday, August 22, 2010

"The disease is beyond my practice." (Macbeth)

.....I had an appointment with my cardiologist the other day which was scheduled for 11:15am. Rho and I arrived in plenty of time at 11:14am. We were called in at 11:25 by a nurse, who weighed me even with my heavy shoes on, which I felt, was unfair. Then we were ushered through a maze of corridors until we finally arrived at a claustrophobic room where she took my blood pressure. She then went over every medication that I take with Rho, since I have no idea about the meds I take; she's committed them to memory. The nurse then left the room saying we would see the doctor, "shortly"; I replied, "Yeah, that's what they all say." We made this appointment specifically for the purpose of getting all the results of tests while I was in the hospital, so we could find out if anyone knew why I had severe chest pains (#10) last Saturday night. I had x-rays, an ultra sound, a catscan, a stress test, and whatever I can't remember. Well, "shortly" went by very quickly and we found ourselves waiting in that room until 12:15pm! One hour past my appointment time. I found that unacceptable, and I told Rho that I was leaving. And she followed me out the door, never to return. Stay tuned.

.....When we first went into this cardiology facility where four doctors had banded together to treat ailing citizens, the office was filled with patients using canes, walkers, scooters, mopeds, & bicycles--or whatever vehicles they needed to help them get there.
.....Before we left, we asked the nurse at the front desk what happened to our doctor. The reply was the standard, "Oh, he had an emergency." I then asked the next question, "Well, why didn't someone have the courtesy to come to our room to inform us of that, so that we could get out of there and make another appointment?" There could not be any response to that question, of course, because no other excuse was available. I told Rho to find another cardiologist--not that they're in short supply down here.

.....Turning my attention now from doctors to judges, at least for a few words, I've heard some complaints from people about the fact that all our Supreme Court judges are Ivy League trained, and claiming that someone from a lesser school should be chosen. On our court, I'm guessing five from Harvard, three from Yale and one from Columbia. That's definitely an elitist group. So why the complaint? Is there something amiss about having a smart judge on the court?
.....If you needed a doctor to do a heart transplant for you, would you opt for one who graduated magna cum laude from Benedict Arnold U. or one from Princeton, summa cum laude who did an internship at Cleveland Clinic? It makes sense to me to have the brightest people in the positions where they are needed--at least that's what Plato taught. I am satisfied if I can find the brightest and finest trained doctors, the fairest judge to decide my prison term, the highly schooled hair stylist, a top-notch quarterback on my team, an inspiring teacher, an experienced and skillful pilot on my aircraft, and a brilliant wife! Those are the people I want in my life. So far, I've been lucky. Get on the bandwagon.

8 comments:

  1. Doc, I take exception to the "lesser school" designation. I worked in "higher" education for almost 40 years and found many of those Ivy League graduates to be pompous, arrogant and intellectually and academically overrated. Many believe the hardest part of an Ivy education is getting in (and we know how many ways there are these days to accomplish that) while many of your smaller "lesser" schools like Haverford, Swarthmore, Dickinson, Bard, et all offer smaller classes all taught by full time professors who aren't wrapped up in outside grants and turning things over to TA's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One slight criticism. Princeton has neither a med or a law school. Your point is still well taken.

    Beyond that, hooray for the Baron for fleeing the evil cardiologist and finding a new one. If more of us did that, we might get the courtesy to which a patient is entitled.

    I go to a doctor as a last resort, and am more than critical of their advice. More on that at a future time.

    Meanwhile, we are hanging in suspense or suspenders, whichever came first, awaiting the results of your tests. Hopefully, you studied for them.

    Because of your condition, it would be greatly appreciated if you posted something every day to let us know that the Ross flag is still flying. Long may it wave o'er the home of the patriarch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a holder of three degrees from an Ivy League institution, I must agree with Foxy Bob, at least for today.

    In OUR day, however giants such as Mark Van Doren, Jacques Barzun (still writing at 100+), Henry Steele Commager, Joseph Wood Krutch, etc. virtually never missed a class and knew many of their students personally.

    As for pompous and arrogant, the good Doc himself is an Ivy League graduate. Would you call him pompous and/or arrogant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an arrogant, pompous Ivy Leaguer in this discussion, I believe a point has been missed. The Baron was not saying that all non-Ivy League schools are "lesser". I believe the Baron, in fact, would agree that there are non-Ivy League schools, some of them relatively small, that offer wonderful educations, and can produce excellent judges. His point was that some people want judges from "lesser" schools -- and he gave Benedict Arnold U. as an example. While we all know that BAU has a great barber school, one might not want a BAU alumnus arguing for one's life during a trial. The Baron is also implying that Ivy League schools are not considered "lesser" schools when looking at their law departments. Anyone who thinks otherwise might be intellectually overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly laud your walking out of the doctor's office. I have done so myself on more than one occasion. I do not want a doctor operating on my body if he cannot even run his office properly. If they are running an hour behind, they should call patients at home to tell them to come an hour later. If the patient is already there, they should announce that there has been an emergency (if that's the truth), and that everything is delayed. It's common courtesy and shows some respect for the patients. I wish everyone would walk out if they are sitting for 30 minutes. As soon as lost patients begin affecting the doctor's financial bottom line, they will improve their policy and efficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There. My son, the arrogant, pompous Ivy Leaguer has captured my thoughts exactly. Read tomorrow's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day.

    But the Baron is never petty and has always defeated the creeps.

    So, make it a daily practice to read the blog where you may even be able to catch JR, if you are lucky. And speedy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can certainly empathize with your reaction to the inefficiency and lack of consideration at your doctor's office. I have real difficulty waiting for anything, even something so trivial as a table at a restaurant. If I make a reservation for 7 PM, I expect to be seated at 7, not 7:15. However, it might be noted that one must live, or, as in the case of my Uncle who, following a routine herniaplasty, became enraged with staff, walked out of the hospital against doctor's orders and expired on the way home, not live with the consequences of one's actions. In any case, excelsior!

    ReplyDelete