Saturday, August 14, 2010

"I have been a traveler in a strange land." (Exodus)

.....My well-traveled son and daughter-in-law who have almost covered the globe with their cash and their luggage have recently decided to engrave their footsteps on the streets of Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Russia & etc. Why they chose those blah countries for a vacation I have no idea, except perhaps that they haven't been there. When my son was laboring for "the agency" he and my two grandchildren resided in England, Panama, & Okinawa. RH+ and I went to see them in England in 1983 while on our honeymoon. If memory serves me (as lately it hasn't) we were there for a month. We could not visit them in Panama because we did not trust Noriega. Only kidding. Actually, I wasn't up to it at the time--mentally or physically. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to see JR's and Barbara's kids as they were growing up. Unfortunately, they didn't have the opportunity of seeing me either. Going back at a time when JR graduated from Cornell, he began teaching in Tenterfield, Australia (wherever that is). I did learn that they forced him to play rugby and to drink beer. He writes all about his experiences in the book, "Phases of the Moon" which he recently published. Coincidentally, Barbara also went to Australia to teach in Sydney and they dated there. Then after a couple of years, they returned to the States by a circuitous route touching down in several European countries and then, married.

.....Today, I received the following e-mail from St. Petersburg:
We left Estonia and drove many hours to St. Petersburg. Our third and last night is tonight. It is a beautiful city. However, it is very hot, and Russians do not believe in AC or cold drinks or ice (except maybe outside in winter). I bought a can of Coke from a hotel vending machine, and the can was actually warm. So we called the front desk and asked that they send some ice to our room (there are no ice machines). They agreed, if we would pay $4 for the ice. So I went without Coke. Did I mention that we are staying at a "4-star" hotel?

..... I reminded him that when I traveled (ages ago), I usually carried my own ice. Anyway, the rigors of traveling require too much planning and too much labor. It all starts with the excitement and anticipation of the pleasures that would ensue. Au contraire. The excitement begins to thaw and the pleasures to dissipate when you must decide what clothing to bring; then comes the packing; when you think you've concluded, the fear that you might not have packed properly for the destination requires that you stuff the baggage to the point where the airline would jump for joy considering the fee that they would collect for the overweight. (I don't really mean that the airline could actually "jump"; I'm only using an appropriate metaphor.) But, if you're off to the Caribbean on a cruise, you'll, naturally, have to pack an extra tech vest or sweat suit in the event there is a cold wave.

.....It never used to be this way, but nowadays, in this fear-infested globe, you have to practically disrobe before you may board your flight. After they make me take off my shoes to see if I planted a bomb in them, (A bomb? I can't even get my socks on) they do not offer to put them back on me again. It's a good thing I have a nimble wife to assist me because I haven't seen my knees in a long time, and bending down more than a few inches would bring on a 911 call. The new trick in the airport is a machine that allows an agent to view your nude body (or is it "naked"). If the agent had to look at bodies like mine every minute of every day, he would most likely have to keep one of those barf bags close by. Of course, if it's a female agent, I try to look my best.



5 comments:

  1. Not exactly the right place to put this, but it is the only available space. Went to the three day NSHS 50th Reunion of the Class of '60, and had a GREAT time. So many wonderful people, so much positive development over the years. It is the understatement of the year to say that a good time was had by all.

    More than 100 classmates attended which must be a record for a high school 50th. I enjoyed spending time with Bob Fox who is a virtual giant compared to his high school days. His intellect is also highly expanded.

    Too many others to mention but some of those who stood out most included Dr. Alan Levine; Andre Emelianoff, a gentleman, a scholar, and one of the finest cellists in the world; Alex Epanchin, Alan's opposite wing; a very youthful Ronnie Birchall, to whom we owe a great debt for his 35 years of service, retiring as a bird colonel; David Glenn, little changed over the years, ready to take the court and score 20 or so; June Lombard, known as "Mousie" in high school and currently a tigress; Jeannie Burdick, as effervescent as ever; Richard Weyhreter, one of the organizers of the affair, who looks as though he could put the shot to an age-group record; Skip Pitt, good looking, keen, and large-souled; Susan Eckers, who worked tirelessly to make the event happen; Pete Frost, still a sailor after all these years; Butchie Grella, mellowed but still Butchie; and SO MANY OTHERS.

    I loved them all then, and I love them even more now. What joy to be around these lads and lasses every day for four years, and how good it was to see some of them again.

    Of course, the Doc's absence was noted, sadly. The class had hoped that he and John Reardon could have made the event but while the spirit was surely willing, the body would not permit.

    HOWEVER, we look forward to the Red Baron joining the party for the 55th. Yes, it would take a miracle, but miracles are what Doc Ross is about.

    I have met many brilliant people, but none more of a Renaissance Man that the noblest Roman of them all, DR. NORMAN ROSS. If a miracle can happen, he will surely be in the middle of it.

    We raised more than one glass to the Doc at the Reunion, and let us raise one more, even if it is only Diet Coke. Norman, you are loved and appreciated not only by me but by generations of students. Long may you prevail--forever would be about right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to the hospitality of Byron Nernoff who hosted the most wonderful barbecue on Sunday. NSHS was Camelot when the Class of '60 was in attendance, and some of us were fortunate enough to know it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more heroine of the '60 Reunion--Carole Neice Snayd, widow of Joe, who worked so hard to help bring everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red Baron regrets inability to attend 50th Reunion of class of '60. If he had only known that Phil B. of Gulag, NJ. was going to attend, he would have juiced up his walker to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc, I did tell you, or at least emailed you, and you said that while the spirit was willing...You were certainly there in the hearts of minds of your countrymen, er, former students. Too many wished you well to record, including, but not limited to Bob Fox, Liz Klein, Mary Jamieson, Dick Weyhreter, etc., etc., etc.

    It was a minor miracle that I was able to make it, but once of us had to go. For the 55th, let us resolve that both of us will be there!

    ReplyDelete