Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"This vile politician." (Henry IV)

.....Need to get something straightened out here. I happen to be a registered Democrat, but I do have some very good friends... readers and relatives who belong to, or who vote for Republican candidates on election days. They also scold me with comments on occasion when I run off politically at the mouth...and that's OK. It becomes a political debate, and I'm all for debating. In college I was a hot debater. But I don't want to get anyone mad at me, especially BF & JT & PB & RH (that's Higgins, not RH+. There's a difference). Besides, in my newspaper's editorial page, there's a column almost every day with Obama bashing. So, I feel perfectly fine bashing someone or something else. That evens the playing field, so to speak.

.....Now, to change the subject violently...so to speak, I have lost my VA psychiatrist whom I never have to pay, fortunately, and now I have to break another one in. I had an appointment with Dr. Ellen Zayas yesterday, and when I got to her office--there was Mary Stone. Mary is an ARNP; I guess that means a registered nurse practitioner and she was there to practition on me. I guess because between Iraq and Afghanistan the VA is running out of shrinks who treat PTSD. Dr. Zayas was called upon to doctor somewhere else for some unknown reason to me, and I have been seeing her now for about ten years. I'm kind of leery about having an ARNP work with me...being 'sui generis' I'm a very difficult case. Anyway, Mary is a very nice ARNP; the first thing she said to me was "Tell me about yourself." I guess she learned that introductory statement in ARNP school. Well, I said, "Mary, I only have 60 minutes with you, and it will take me four and a half hours to tell you about myself since my life involves 86 years of it. Perhaps you can afford to buy my autobiography for $22 on Amazon." Naturally, working for the VA she couldn't afford it so I told her about myself and when I was finished she said, "Norman, you are remarkable; you are a smart Forrest Gump!" Funny, I never thought about myself that way.

.....By now, you must have guessed that this blog is multi-hued in order to differentiate among the various blog themes. I thought this up all by myself. Among my many thoughts that rarely give birth to anything is the thought of teaching a poetry class here in the clubhouse. I did teach about two dozen classes in Shakespeare several years ago. I can't do that anymore for the same reasons I don't play golf or jog anymore; takes too much work and energy. But a poetry class would be different. I kind of miss the teaching profession. I don't know how many people would register for the class, but the Shakespeare classes were well attended. We would read, discuss, analyze and write poetry. I'd start off with one of my favorites; "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock." And then a Canterbury tale or two, and then a few bars of "Paradise Lost" and "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam." If you care to register, the tuition will be $35. Come one. Come all.

11 comments:

  1. Although the Doc is a registered Democrat, he is too smart to be fooled by the rhetoric and propaganda of any party. He realizes that Obama's greatest achievement is to increase global warming by dispensing great quantities of hot air.

    Theodore Rosenfeld was opposed by the leadership of both parties but still managed an impressive list of positive changes. T. R. for prez in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since PB is obviously not a Democrat, he must be something else. Altho he is a Jeopardy winner, his fact about the hot air is incorrect. It was left over by the previous administration hovering around the Whitehouse from the invasion of Iraq on the hot air premise that Hussein was harboring WMDs when actually he was harboring a harem. Trillions have been lost on that war creating an economic problem for the current administration. Perhaps some day someone will reveal what horrible, terrible, unconscionable errata this president has perpetrated. Huh? Americans should be proud for having elected, historically, our first black President. And the second error my good friend PB made in his comment had to do with President T.R.Rosenfeld, our first obvious Jewish president who is dead and cannot be elected in 2012. Most likely it will be Mrs. Palin and Mr. Beck. We truly and surely deserve them in order to shut up all the naysayers' rhetoric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theodore Rosenfeld is dead? Oh, no. Where have all the flowers gone? Where is real hope? In Arkansas? Or trying to escape the big ape. It was beauty killed the beast.

    Let us not get caught up in excusing a present failure because previous administrations screwed up also.

    Btw, have you noticed that Resident Obama has stepped up the war in Afghanistan? If you've ever been there, boots on the ground, you would realize that we can't win that one, especially with the resident's man, Karzai, in charge.

    And let us not take credit for electing someone with a very thin resume in spite of, or even because of, his color.

    I bow to no man in my street cred on race. Modesty prevents me from listing achievements, but I CAN. Yes, I CAN.

    Even though he is dead, T. R. would make a better president than the incumbent, imo. Doc, you have proven your credentials as a patriot and warrior. So did a host of others firmly entrenched in the right wing.

    We agree on the major issue--that democracy and justice must reign in the U.S.A. I am not a party person. In fact, my first choice in 2008 was Evan Bayh. Check him out.

    My second choice was Mitt Romney, a member of the opposite party. Even though he was a moron, he was successful in business and as governor of that Democrat-infused state, Massachussetts.

    Let us pray for the future of this great nation! From the heart, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baron's question has been avoided. What unimaginable, incredible, failures are we talking about here? He got a health care bill passed that never has been done by any administration prior to this one; he has brought 50,000 troops home from Iraq; he has got the Middle East leaders here & has insisted on a peace deal in one year; he has been thought of well enough to have the Nobel Peace prize; he is ten times smarter than the cowboy. Baron has done his share for this great country; so did his father; so did his daughter; so did his daughter's husband; so did his son; and now his granddaughter is doing it. So, God bless this GREAT president; God Bless Coach (may he see the light); God Bless the Baron (who basks in the light), and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You left Ell Bee Jay off your list of great presidents, and rightfully so. And Lyndon did more to advance the cause of civil rights than any president before or since.

    But some things are more important than civil rights, such as dragging us deeper into the quagmire of the Vietnam War.

    And the Great Society wrecked our economy for years to come.

    One of the biggest failures of any president is to be divisive, to undermine the confidence of the American people. The present resident has certainly done that.

    The majority of the American people want his budget-busting health-care plan REPEALED. Of course we simple souls have no clue what is good for us. The "big brains" know best NOT.

    The troop withdrawal from Iran is on GWB's time table.

    O. got the Middle East leaders here??? And what did that accomplish besides photo ops? He has INSISTED upon a peace deal in one year. LOL. Talk to Israelis and see what they think of this resident.

    The resident won the Nobel Peace Prize but what did he do to earn it? At least Nixon achieved understanding (sort of) with Red China.

    Yes, the Ross Clan has served this country with honor and distinction. But remember that your daughter-in-law's husband was a CONSERVATIVE, and that Robin Higgins served in the cabinet of both Bushes.

    You can be a liberal or a conservative or anywhere in between and still be a patriot.

    Personally, I still believe that Lord Acton was right; we must protect ourselves from our "leaders" at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and never the twain shall meet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We shall indeed meet Sam Clemens, even though Kipling was correct that East is East and West is West. Also that the colonel's lady and Judy O'Grady are sisters under the skin.

    At some point truth, crushed to earth, shall rise again. When that happens we will all agree on the issues that becloud our lives. Until then, we must muddle on, doing the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe we can all agree on Abraham Lincoln. He had a pretty good civil rights record, even though he was Republican. He was not squeamish about employing military might for national security, but not so much overseas. He was a good writer, but did not attend an Ivy League school. He was very tall and strong, but did not play power forward in basketball. He looked like a hippie, but was rather staid and old-fashioned. He was brought up Christian, had a Jewish name, and probably was an atheist at heart. All in all, we can use his like now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If Theodore Rosenfeld can't run, I would certainly support Lincoln in 2012. Well done, Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netSeptember 4, 2010 at 4:44 AM

    Cuz - what you should have said to that new and under-qualified lady was: "Bet you say that to all the boys!"

    Can you do teleportation as well as all the other clever things you do? If so, I would happily pay good money to come to your class.

    Re your previous blog - you missed out Sir Alec Guinness, especially in "Kind Hearts and Coronets." And a really great film was "The Long Goodbye," the 1970s re-make with Elliot Gould as Philip Marlowe. Really resounds (can we make an end of that disgusting word "resonate?) down the years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why of course Baron can "teleport"! I can instantaneously flit from one loo to another.

    ReplyDelete