Friday, December 11, 2009

SONNET LXXIII (William Shakespeare)

That Time Of Year....Sonnet LXXIII

William Shakespeare

That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.

In me thou see'st the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west;
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death's second self, that seals up all in rest.

In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
Consumed with that which it was nourished by.

This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well which thou must leave ere long.


ANALYSIS for those who CARE:
.: :. Shakespeare is leading the reader, through brilliant metaphors, to the realization of inevitable old age, inevitable death, and of an unpretentious view on our mortality. In this metaphor he uses the season of fall, right before the "death" of winter. This time correlates to old age, near to the end of one's life.The most important part of this Sonnet is the couplet at the end: "This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong, to love that well which thou must leave ere long." This is saying: You see in me-"the twilight of such day, as after the sunset fadeth" (The end of the day, the end of my life)-"the glowing of such fire, that on the ashes of his youth doth lie" (My "light" is about to burn out, my "life" is about to burn out)-He says, "you notice this in me, and your love for me strengthens because before long, I will inevitably leave you, in my death.

5 comments:

  1. It pierces my heart, this sonnet. I think in 2010 in addition to blogging your daily life which interests us all, your political and philosophical musings which we love but sometimes proves inflammatory, you "should" treat us to one "explication" p/week. Perhaps you'll start with Shakespeare's Sonnets perhaps some other great works that will remind us of how literature can inform and enrich our lives. Take up your role of teachere again (never really abandoned). I think you have a bunch of eager students out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well-chosen sonnet by WS, cuz, but I'm slightly miffed by your suggestion that just because I don't want the analysis, I don't care! Frankly, I don't need it!! It didn't tell me anything I don't already know. You are suffering from a touch of what Bernard Shaw called "Bardolatry.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dear Ruth Grimsley: The analyses of poetry on my blog are not meant for Englishwomen...only Americans of either sex. We are leaving Monday for a 10 Day cruise; when I return, I would like to see that you have written a sestina. All poets should have written a sestina, but only Spenser and I have done it in English.....as far as I know; I'm the only American.....as far as I know; you can find mine in my "Memoirs".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellin has a novel idea. The Baron will muse on it. My sometime inflammatory political and philosophical views have no doubt driven my conservative, right wing, Republican friends away, anyway; so it won't matter if I continue inflaming. The title of my new book, "Fires in the Heart" is appropriate, then. ...and Ruth, Shaw is obviously filled with envy;he's (short for "he was")too drunk with Georgeolatry and Bernolatry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Readers: If you ever see this after your comment preview..."Your request could not be honored. Please try again." Ignore it. It's stupid.

    ReplyDelete