Saturday, December 5, 2009

"Quiet! I'm trying to sleep." (Red Baron)

.....The theatre arts class put on its monthly "Showcase" yesterday, and thankfully it was a great improvement over the dress rehearsal held the day before and which I criticized somewhat severely. But something happened overnight which changed my view. I think perhaps the group was in a panic, and studied their scripts all night and into the wee hours of the morning. At any rate, most of the acts were well done, and my particular group did very well, and for the most part remembered my direction. I was quite satisfied with their performance. I don't believe I'll want to perform next month because I'm getting more satisfaction out of directing.

.....Speaking of shows, Rho and I went to the Martz Theatre (formerly Burt Reynold's) and saw Neil Simon's "Lost in Yonkers". It was quite hilarious--involving a disoriented, disjointed Jewish family, and the reaction to its members by two boys--aged 12 & 15, the only sane ones in that nutty household. It was a first rate production and first rate entertainment. Why not? It was Neil Simon. It made me want to write a play, also...but I'm afraid mine would be mostly tragic.


.....I intimated lately that I was going to quit or cut down on this blog after I publish Vol.VI. I do not want to weigh down the bookshelf. But on the way home from the theatre, I attempted to count the number of readers I thought I had. It came to 16 + I don't know how many from Montana--I reckon not too many; only one that I know of. I was kind of flattered when Ruth Grimsley my "cousin" in England wrote that I ought not to quit because my blog is "a treat". I didn't know whether she was comparing it to a candy bar or an ice cream cone--but I don't think it's called an ice cream cone in England. Speaking of England, the U.S. national soccer team will begin their World Cup endeavors on June 12 in South Africa with an opening game against England! Also in their group, fortunately, are two weak teams, Algeria & Slovenia. It's going to be a blast watching those games. But I know that I have a number of readers who couldn't care less. Too bad, they don't know what they are missing. Or do they?
.....For a treat, here are a few more insults you might be able to use:
"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here."-- Stephen Bishop
"He is a self-made man, and worships his creator."-- John Bright
"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."-- Irvin S Cobb
"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others."-- Samuel Johnson


.....Lately, all I've read in the papers and magazines; and seen on TV are polls of one kind or another. The media is taken up with polls about this and about that; as if life is determined by the statistics in the poll. I'd like to try out my own poll and see how that comes out. So, vote for one: 1) Continue writing the blog every day or so. 2) Do me a favor and quit writing the blog so often 3) Please, please, stop writing already; I can't take it any longer! and 4) None of the above.
.....Simply write your response in the comment box. Or not.

5 comments:

  1. I will vote for choice number 1. i know it is hard to write about stuff each and everyday, however your blog is always something i look forward to each day. it has allowed your children, and step children, a glimpse into your daily life, that we otherwise would not have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1, of course. I know of at least 11 readers, and that does not include anyone in Florida, and I'm sure there are others I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to keep writing your blog. I just love seeing you sitting at the computer doing one of the things that you love doing....Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Montana checks in the a vote for #1.

    Dave in cold, snowy Montana

    ReplyDelete