Monday, December 7, 2009

"The common curse of mankind, folly and ignorance." (Troilus)

....."By our deaths here with honor, in the face of these insuperable odds, we transform vanquishment into victory..." Written in "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield in describing the statement of Dienekes to the Spartan army at the Battle of Thermopylae in 480B.C. when all 300 of them were killed by 10,000 of Xerxses forces. It might just as well describe the valor and deaths of our troops at the invasion of Normandy or of the courage of the Marines who died in the landing at Iwo Jima, or the bravery of those sailors who perished in the bowels of the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor, 68 years ago today. I write this because at a dinner we were invited to at a neighbor's apartment last night a boorish man dominated the conversation because he is apparently afflicted with megalomania for which he really ought to seek a cure because it does him no good.

..... The conversation over dinner began innocently enough with a discussion of Florida's football team's loss to Alabama in the SEC championship game. This gentleman, who otherwise, has a few endearing qualities, or so I am told--insisted that Florida's team and its quarterback were "losers". I reminded him that before this loss, Florida had won 22 consecutive football games, and that I did not consider them losers because they lost a game, championship or no. But he wouldn't hear of it and would not back down from his view that no matter what, they were "losers". I also tried to remind him that during my own experience, coaching team sports for 30 years, I had occasion to lose a few championship games after winning seasons, and that I did not consider my team "losers" simply because they played a team with superior talent that one day. He never let me finish with that fact, interrupting me and saying he didn't care what my experience was. An adolescent reply. I wanted to ask him if he felt the men facing overwhelming odds at Normandy or Iwo Jima or Pearl Harbor were also losers, but I never got the chance to dispute his contumelious views. I could not bear to be in his presence, in an argument I had no chance of winning and so I went home a loser. It won't matter. He doesn't read this blog; I don't know if he reads.
.....I cannot publish this until I say something about our host and charming hostess. Lou is an intelligent guy and lots of fun to be around, although he cannot make me laugh with his jokes. Annette is a fantastic cook--nay cheffette. She made a challah that was out of this world. Her turkey, stuffing, green peas, pickles, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, root beer, and potato pancakes were first rate, and her chocolate pudding pie and lemon meringue topped the evening meal. Besides being what we used to call a "balabusta" she is a delightful person and a good neighbor. I cannot say enough about her and Lou.
.....I don't mean to be so harsh on the man who didn't care what I think or what anyone else does, except himself--but I was hurting more than anyone could know because of some disturbing news I received from my daughter, Bonny, in California. News that I am not really free to reveal at the moment, but another blip and another fire in the gut. So, being sociable last night was very difficult. Today should be a better day. Sean, Bonny's son--and my grandson, is 27 now--born on Pearl Harbor Day. Let us all Remember Pearl Harbor--and never forget it.
.....

1 comment:

  1. Just to relieve the anxiety of your reading public concerned about the cryptic note regarding Bonny: She is fine and her family is fine. There was just a public relations mishap regarding her shop, but everything is now under control.

    ReplyDelete