Sunday, March 15, 2009

"What greater gift can we offer the republic than to teach and instruct our youth." (Cicero)

Recently I sent a couple of U-Tube videos to a former student of mine who asked permission to share them with former classmates of his. The videos were newscasts of the ceremony when I received the Distinguished Flying Cross about 60 years late! I suppose that fact intrigued the networks. Saul Schacter now is teaching at North Shore H.S. and what can I say about him? Anyway, I have received a few responses from some students I remember and some I don't. But here are a few of their reactions:

Hey 'Doc"
I just got an e-mail from Saul Schacter about your military medals. Congratulations!!! Now I can say I was taught English Literature from a real war hero. Great news.
Brian Monaghan, class of '76

PS I will always remember 'mallowmars' in your living room with part of your soccer team, (Danny Tarulli)


Dear Dr. Ross, Just had the pleasure of seeing your interview on Youtube. You look great! I am well and living in Las Vegas where I have been for thirty years. I have an 18 year old son, Max and a wife of 28 years by the name of Diana. Life is good and I have thought of you fondly over the years. Stay well! I'm proud to have known you. David Chesnoff.

Thanks, Doc. Nice clips and I have sent the URLs out in a mailing to our class. I only wish we had given you all the attention and respect you deserved as our teacher.
Best wishes,
Wallace


Dear Dr. Ross:
I appreciate Saul's sharing of this news. Having not fought in a war, I cannot totally appreciate the sacrifices you and your fellow crew members made. You have endured the memory of those experiences and I am moved by your public acknowledgement of them now. My father did not speak of his experiences as a Marine during WW II. He died in 1994, and I am sure it was difficult, as it was for you.

I was not a student in a class with you, but recall you as a dedicated teacher and coach through my classmates. I remember heading out to the tennis courts or baseball diamond and hearing your enthusiastic coaching on nearby fields.

I wish you many years of peace with your decision to open this chapter of your lives with us.
John Deuel
North Shore High School Class of '74



Congratulations Mr. Ross!

Saul Schacter is a good High School friend of mine who as you probably already know is a teacher in the NS Middle School and taught my son last year!
My name is Joan Lane, and I am 52 years old and a 1975 Graduate of North Shore High School.
Saul has just informed many of the alumni of your success and achievements. As he stated in his e-mail the news is about six years old but just recently reached his hands.
Although I never had you as a teacher, I did know who you were and was very pleased to hear of your long over due award. You are an amazing man and a true hero. My only regret is not being in your classes. I wish you and your family all the best.
I was very touched by your interviews and couldn't let this pass.
With warm regards,
Joan Lane


Norm:

I just received an e-mail, some 6 weeks late, from Saul Schachter linking to you-tubes describing your war experiences and your recent medals. I guess you learned how to brawl with Julian while in the Navy. Now I understand why you took so little shit from the administration. Although I couldn't abide your home poetry sessions I now realize how much you, and your family, has given to the service and the country. My warmest congratulations on finally receiving the recognition you deserved...Jay


Jay was a colleague of mine who also taught at North Shore. I do remember him well. When he says he couldn't abide my home poetry sessions, he is referring to the fact that I was able to convince the principal that the classroom was not the proper venue for reading and teaching great poetry. Consequently my class of about 15 used to hop in their cars and drive to my house a short distance away, and make themselves comfortable in my living room while absorbing the poetry that was being read. This "living room" class, no doubt irked a few teachers who were shocked by this unusual method of teaching. Nevertheless, John French, our principal was an imaginative educator and he made a courageous decision that no doubt enhanced the learning experience of my class. However, the sad truth is that in too many schools, having teachers use their imaginations is not to be tolerated. And how idiotic is that?

1 comment:

  1. Norman, It is amazing to continue to see that you are touching the lives of your former collegues and students, even during your well deserved retirement years. This is the mark of a truly exceptional person.

    ReplyDelete