Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Custom is the law of fools." (Vanbrugh)

...Just recently I published "Pater Noster in Condoland Vol.IV" which is, technically, not a very great achievement since it is a book of postings on my blog, Home of the Red Baron. I did dedicate the book to a great friend and colleague. We both taught classes and coached teams at North Shore H.S. and from the first we admired and respected each other's skills. Phil Bergovoy has written many a comment on my blog and this time he wrote a rather long one on the "Camaro" posting--rather too long to run as a comment. Consequently, since I didn't want to reject it because of it's length, I hope he'll be satisfied is I shared it with my fan club:
Norman, I cannot possibly think of you as 85, especially when you continue to amaze with the highest level of thought and awareness of what is really important in life. You obviously have many more years to spread the sunshine of your soul to your family and friends. AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!When I was a pre-teen, I memorized Invictus (which made the Norrho list of favorites) because it summed up how I wanted to behave. Hemingway's, "Grace Under Pressure" was another facet of my projected role in life. As Henley said:It matters not how strait the gate,How charged with punishment the scroll,I am the master of my fate;I am the captain of my soul.Many people have said these words but few have been able to live up to them. You are one of the few. Warrior, athlete, scholar, master teacher, and, maybe most important, parent--Norman Ross, you are a credit to your race--the human race.Love to you and all the worthy Rosses. Phil B.
...Rho and I contemplated going to a movie today, but I didn't get up until noon, which I figure was really 11am yesterday's time. I'm not too clear about the custom of changing time like this twice a year. If daylight saving time is OK now, why don't we use it all year long? That way we can save a whole year's worth of daylight. Oh, well, I'm not the one to decide these things and I don't know who is. I wonder if this changing of time ritual is observed around the world in other countries. I suppose I can check this on the world clock on my computer. Well, we didn't get to the movie because we have other things to do and not much time to do them unless we take the time to do them today. And please forgive the convoluted sentence. I want to dump more books out of my closet and Rho has to try and beat her favorite game on her laptop...another strange word I don't understand since it never is operated on her lap. If my PC is called a "desktop" why isn't hers called a "tabletop". Makes more sense to me. But what do I know. I'm 85.

No comments:

Post a Comment