Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Experience, civility, honour, ne'er did so violate itself" (Antony & Cleopatra)

...My feelings have been hurt. Yea, and perhaps I may whine a bit. Listen, if you can't whine when you're 85, when can you? The problem is that Rho and I were not invited by anyone to the party after the "In House" show Thursday nite after the performance of "A Slice of Life." It has been the practice through the years that the cast and their INVITED GUESTS celebrate the opening performance of the show in the ballroom at reserved tables and dine on snacks, cookies, cake, wine, champagne, coffee and soda--and the divas and ingenues come with their flowers. But I was not invited as a guest of any one of the performers in the show that opens tomorrow night.

...So, what are my credentials? Well, I have entertained the residents of this community in many a theatrical production. In 1985, Rhoda appeared in "South Pacific". Four years after my son-in-law, Rich Higgins was kidnapped and murdered by the Hezbollah in Lebanon, I was sufficiently ready to perform the lead role in Gilbert and Sullivan's "H.M.S. Pinafore". Following that, I played the in "The Mikado," "Showboat," "The Music Man," "Fiddler on the Roof," and I directed and played the in "Pirates of Penzance," and "My Fair Lady." I also had minor roles in "Pajama Game" and two In House shows, "Florida, USA," and the recent, "It's Never Too Late.". I don't know if there was anyone else around who would have the memorization skills required in a few of these roles. At least, no one else auditioned for them.

...Besides my contributions over the year in these production shows, I also taught classes in Shakespeare, and gave several lectures on Shakespeare and poetry for different organizations here. In the program for "My Fair Lady," in 2007, I insisted on recognizing Bob and Gloria Slobin for their wonderful work in past shows. Bob performed admirably as actor, director, and musical director in many of our shows. He also did yeoman work as a set designer. I made certain that there would be a dedication to him and Gloria. They fully deserved that kind of recognition. However, this honor was never acknowledged in any shape or form.


...Now, I haven't auditioned since 2007 because my mobility has deteriorated to a degree that I would not be able to get about the stage as I would want to. I probably will no longer continue in HLI theatrics...unfortunately. But now comes the whiny part. Not one person in this year's performance has deigned to extend to us an invitation to the post- show gala in the ballroom; not Bob, not Gloria, not Marilyn Talmatch, not Marilyn Silverstein (to whom I offered "the role of a lifetime" as Eliza in "My Fair Lady.") And not Kitty Ruff, if she happens to be in this year's show. Also, not Claire Semel nor Helen Libow. Well, I could mention several more people who have forgotten about Rhoda and me--but I've named enough. I am hurt, disappointed--and find it difficult to believe that no one had even one guest at their table besides family.

1 comment:

  1. “I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers” Kahlil Gibran

    ReplyDelete