Saturday, March 28, 2009

Father knows best: No Fear Shakespeare

...A most fantastic occurrence just finished occurring. About a half hour ago while I was in China Gardens feasting on a lobster. Since I was alone with no one to talk to, (Rho was at a Bar Mitzvah in Jersey) I reminded myself of the fact that yesterday I started to watch the tape I made of the TV presentation of "King Lear". I watched for about fifteen minutes and it was so utterly riveting I stopped--because I wanted Rhoda to see it with me.. Sir Ian McKellen played the lead and he was really Lear. No doubt about it. Although there was closed caption offered, there was no necessity for it because the acting was so magnificent and easy to understand. No fear Shakespeare. So, on to the fantastic occurrence; while I was finishing my orange sherbet I thought that if some genie out of a bottle of Diet Sprite offered me one wish, I would be overwhelmed with gratitude if I could just go back to the 16th Century and watch Shakespeare as he was at his desk, or whatever, writing a play. Well, I disappointed myself knowing that it couldn't happen. However, when I opened my fortune cookie, the message was "Your dearest dream will come true" !! I was completely stunned. I thought that this chain of events couldn't happen; in addition it was a little scary. I got the cookie's message even without the genie popping out of a bottle. I was pretty certain now that when I die, that's when the wish would come true. However, it will be a long time before that can happen. I can barely wait.
...So, now on to something else with more sanity involved than with the "fantastic occurrence" which was insane. As a comment to the post, "Mea Culpa"--(my sin), son JR wrote a comment which I suppose was engendered by the in-house performer who wrote that her mother told her to say something nice or say nothing at all. I really don't want Joel's comment on that to get lost at the bottom of a previous post, so I would like share it with you here:
...Why is it always "my mother taught me..."? Doesn't the father ever teach something worthwhile that is helpful in later life ("always wear clean underwear")? I, for one, find myself often beginning a sentence, "my father taught me...." Actually, one thing my father taught me was that you show more respect to another person by being honest rather than polite. Being polite has its benefits, but it's highly overrated. Or should I have not just given my opinion, because someone, somewhere, somehow might be offended?
...Well, I'll just have to agree with my son, because if I don't he might cry; at least that's what he used to do when he was about 8 or 10; but now he's 50 something and I suspect that there would be a different reaction if I disagreed. So, I won't. But I believe that his comment deserves some serious thought. Perhaps we might set up a poll as they do in presidential campaigns. There were plenty of those during the Obama-Clinton battle. In this case father knows best.


No comments:

Post a Comment