Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't." (Hamlet)

...As the bromide has become, this is "March Madness." Mostly this expression originated with the NCAA basketball tournament--and a very exciting one at that. But it also can easily morph into other situations. For example, I don't think any one of my kids has ever been here in March, and now we're going to have two of them. Robin is at her friend Risa's house and planning to drive here tomorrow. I'm not sure about how long she'll be staying, but whatever time it is, it will be appreciated. Gives us a chance to chat about her siblings and her niblings. Robin lives in Northern Florida in the Winter and in a small town in Montana in the Summer. She loves Montana, that's for sure...she has many friends there. Of course, she does; it's is a small town and the longer you live there chances are you'll meet more townfolk. I suggested this is March Madness because not only Robin is visiting, but Bobby--second son--will be coming on the 22nd for two or three days. He wrote me an e-mail saying that he misses his father, and I'm guessing that's me. (Of course if I were nerdy and into writing super correct English grammar, I would have to say, "that's I". Take my word for it.)
...Another contribution to March Madness happens to be the madness with my glasses. About six months ago I went to Lens Crafters, and showed the new prescription my doctor suggested. And so we picked out a frame and had them put in "progressive" lenses with "Varilux" glare guard, and who knows what else? So, much to my dismay after being there an hour at least, the bill came to about $510 for these fancy glasses! Never in my long life have I ever blown that amount of money for eye glasses. But Rho was with me and she appeared to approve of the whole arrangement and so it happened.
...But that's not the whole madness part of this maddening story. Six months have passed and I still haven't gotten used to the progressive lenses. I tend to see double with them when reading. Consequently. we went back to the store and arranged to take the progressive lenses out of the frame, and put in bifocals. The day after this event, I thought about the $500 I spent for the progressives--and panic set in at the thought of losing them. I called the store and told them to cancel the order because I didn't want to use my progressives frame. I arranged to have the bifocals put into another frame of mine that is in pretty good shape. And so, at the expense of another $200 I will be getting a pair of bifocals--and still have the use of my progressives. So, I suppose, maddeningly I'll be switching glasses back and forth until the Chicago Cubs win a pennant--and that may not happen until Doomsday. March madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment