Sunday, March 1, 2009

Things end and things begin, and so the world turns.

I have finished teaching "Hamlet" to my class of 14 gals and 1 guy, and this was the last, final, nevermore class that I am going to teach. This was on Friday, my 85th and it simply takes more energy now than I can summon up. Teaching is not easy work if it's done right. Apparently I must have done something right because I'm been receiving more communication from former students. When I say "former", I mean pre-1982. Many of these students are in their 50s, 60s, and perhaps a few in their 70s. The fact that they remember me so well is amazing, because I cannot remember a single teacher from my high school days back in the 40s! As I have indicated several times, I do want to share with you a few messages I've received either on e-mail or Face Book:



Dr. Ross:Of course, I am sure many of your former students have thanked you for the powerful background you gave us in literature; you have been an inspiration to generations -- certainly, to me.

Thank you"Dr. Ross I want to tell you how much you meant to me while I was at NSHS. Patty Barton

Doc, I am doing well in Virginia. I must say, you have left a lasting impression on me from your guidance during track and soccer. The lessons you taught me are lessons of life not just sports. The regimen to persevere regardless of outcome are etched in my soul. Thank you! Richard Bennet

I thank you all. It's uplifting to know I've shot my arrow into the air and it made a mark somewhere! (A nice thought, but a bad poem).

So, now that I am no longer going to teach, I have the opportunity to get rid of books that I am never going to use or read again. It will give me needed space in my closet and the book case in the living room. I suppose it's a little early for spring cleaning but with all the things that need to be done, early is o.k. It feels good that the bathroom remodeling is all done, and they look beautiful. It's now a pleasure to go in to either one and close the door. You are all welcome to try them out.
















No comments:

Post a Comment