Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis. (Emerson)

.....I'm really angry at my computer, and I am seriously thinking about doing something other than working at it. It seems to do what it wants whenever it wants, but the latest prank is to lose my Word program which I use to print a book, with the comments. Since there is no longer a Word program, I can't move this blog anywhere.  And insofar as comments are concerned I keep getting one from someone named "Anonymous" on a Feb. 26, 2009 post.  It comes to my email every day and I cannot find how I can delete it--and finding how is another problem. It is always from a commercial firm and I don't publish it.
But not only have I lost the Word program, but also Quicken. I have used Quicken to record all my financial information such as a bank balance, a CD, and my expenses.  I need go no further; my computer has gone back to when I bought it naked.  I dressed it up, and now it's naked again.  Or is it "nude"; and what's the difference? I guess "naked" is more pejorative. Well, read the poem "The Naked and the Nude by Robert Graves.
 
.....90 year olds should not be subjected to these problems. I'm beginning to feel like Job. I got a letter last week from the insurance company that has paid claims to me for skin cancer that I've been getting from them since I bought the policy in 1978!  Then of a sudden I get a letter from them excluding skin cancer from that policy and rejecting a claim I sent to them recently.  When I bought the policy in 1978 I thought it was a good deal with premiums $46 a year which in today's economy seems even a better deal.  However, I don't know if they can change the benefits of that policy any time they want even after 36 years.  I've already paid them $1656 in premiums.  I mean to find out from the proper government agency.
 
.....And now poor RH+ is not so plussy these last few days.  She has a very mean cold, cough, and runny nose.  I can't drive her to the doctor because I gave her my car keys, and I don't drive anymore.  I have always believed that once you turn 90, you should get off the road, and I have.  I don't drive and I don't fly--and I have found that even cruising is dangerous considering the fact that I broke both hips on cruise ships. However, I may consider flying for the right reasons some day; but only if the hotels & busses have the facilities for a scooter as they do here when we go by bus.

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM

    Well, Baron, it is well known that insurance companies and banks claim to offer an umbrella for a rainy day: but that when the rainy day comes, they take the umbrella away. They are motivated by profit and nothing else. Not much that can be done about it: the contract of insurance is not a permanency, but comes up for renewal, and accordingly reassessment, every year. The only solution that I can see is for altruistic people to set up co-operatives and mutuals in which proper value in a spirit of integrity is offered, and from which those controlling them take modest financial rewards, taking the rest out in the glorious knowledge that they are doing the RIGHT THING. Sooner or later, these organisations will, in my opinion, arrive on the scene: but it's taking longer than it ought.
    Sorry Rh+ isn't well, please offer her my good wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Love from Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suddenly the French found you and they are coming to Boynton Beach. They are perhaps trying to prove that everything turns out for the best in this best of all possible worlds. Except for your computer and your insurance. It's not too late to tell the French what kind of wine they should bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received a bottle of their best champagne. Perhaps this really is the best of all possible worlds.

      Delete