Saturday, April 12, 2014

"War is a very high price to pay for maturity"

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying."
 
.....Yes. I agree. And I did a lot of nine-year old crying and yearning for the seashore that I was used to in Long Branch.  The South Bronx was an entirely new universe for me--another "error" in my life.  One cannot control an event, but one can at least control the meaning of an event.  Our little family's move was life-altering, and I knew that the Bronx was where I was to grow up.  For my mother's sake (she did not like to see me brooding), I determined to do well in school, to make friend's there, and to make friends with the kids on my block--and I succeeded.
 
 
.....I began in the sixth grade, and after a batch of tests, I was put in the Dalton program which supposedly was only for kids who got high marks on those tests.  The school was up at the corner of the block where I lived which was good, but pupils had to wear uniforms and I had to wear a white shirt with a red tie which was bad!  I had bright red hair, and I never wanted anything else on my body that was red.  James Monroe HS was about a half mile walk.  I did get some good grades and some bad grades.  Some of my teachers bored me--they had no acting ability.  I joined the soccer team, the swimming team, and the track team.  I became sports editor of the Monroe Mirror, the school paper.  That brought me a modicum of fame. On Kelly St., I made many friends--male and female, largely because I was a three sewer hitter in stickball.  Now that I'm in Florida, they are all dead, and that part of my long ago life is also dead.  It was an event I could not control, but I embraced its meaning; it made me stronger. 

.....I was 21 when WII ended.  It was another error or event, if you will, that could not be controlled.  But three years in a war had to have some meaning besides giving something to your country, and in combat facing a time every day with running out of time to a time when your family did not get to hold you, but did embrace a folded flag.  The fact that the flag is folded has an axiomatic meaning in itself.  They called it "battle fatigue" when I was in the VA hospital for six months, and I spent some time writing poetry (which eventually got me into Columbia).  I heard that the male nurses had a softball team and their games were played on the hospital grounds.  My competitive spirit took over my mental spirit, and I got together a patient softball team. We played the nurses about twice a week, and we even won some games.  I settled for nothing less.  I didn't have to work and I was in a leadership role where I generally flourished.  My girlfriend, Thelma, came to visit twice a week, as did my mother--and the social worker, Lucille Cusick, took a great interest in my poetry.


.....Mrs. Cusick changed my life.  She insisted that I go to college, and urged me to register at Columbia University.  I laughed at her, said she was crazy, told her I had only commercial courses in high school.  Nevertheless, she insisted that I take the entrance exam.  I thought she was only trying to urge me to get dressed, wear a tie, and get away from the hospital. So, I thought it might be an interesting adventure.  I took the entrance exam and broke the record for the lowest score ever recorded.  It didn't bother me a bit.  I enjoy breaking records. But one day, I had one of my poems printed in a very prestigious magazine, "The Saturday Review" edited by Stephen Rose Benet.  It wasn't I who submitted it.  However, the front cover happened to have a picture of Lenora Speyer, a poet, and professor at Columbia.  Lucille schlepped me back to Admissions at Columbia, showed the poem to the admitting officer and the rest is history.  I fixed the WWII error.


 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

    Dear Baron, not all of that was in your autobioggers, and I have consequently found it very interesting. To that, I would only add that we have no choice about the times into which we are born. Accordingly, in my view, there is little to be gained by agonizing about it. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, Ruthie, but in my experience when you are nine year's old, without a father, in a strange new world, one does a lot of agonizing; especially if you are Jewish and have the agonizing gene. And there is a lot to be gained by it when you're 9.

      Delete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM

    Mm, Baron, even we Jews have a saying in Yiddish that goes: "Vos ferzayt mit alle, ferzayt mit der Kalle." It loses in translation, meaning "what happens to all, happens to the bridegroom too!" I understand this to mean that there's no point fretting about what's happening to everyone else. For example, there's no point my fretting and Joel's fretting about reduced employment opportunities for our respective graduate children, as that whole generation has to cope with this problem. However, I'm sympathetic about your alas too early loss of your father. That must have been so hard. My dear father died when I was 58 and that was hard enough, as we loved one another dearly. And he lost his mother when he was FOUR (septicaemia following the birth of his youngest brother) and I don't believe he ever really got over that. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM

    Hey, Baron: today I saw the most amazing piece of news from somewhere in Australia: people banned from driving because of breaching the drink-drive laws are taking to MOBILITY SCOOTERS because there's no ban on their driving THEM. Hilarious, isn't it? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete