Saturday, May 10, 2014

Vive La France! Vive Napoleon, et al! Donnez-moi la Champagne, s'il vous plait.

On Thurs. May 8, the French Legion of Honor Medal was awarded by the French Consulate to Dr. Norman Ross at the Boynton Beach Civic Center.  Moi??

  Upon presentation of their military file as detailed hereunder, USA veterans who risked their life during World War II to fight on French territory, may be awarded this distinction. Those selected are appointed to the rank of Knight of the Legion of Honor. The Legion of Honor medal is not awarded posthumously.

 

 Created to honor extraordinary contributions to the country, the Legion of Honor is France’s highest distinction.

Since only a small number of Legion of Honor medals are awarded each year in the United States, care is taken to nominate only those with the most distinguished records. It is important to have such decorations as the Bronze Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, or Silver Star earned in French territory in order to have a competitive record. 


It's a good looking medal, but I don't know what I will do with it.  I hope it will come with as good looking a box to put it in.  I suppose, too, that I will have to use a few of the French words I learned in WWII such as merci beaucoup, and voulez-vous un cigarette? or even voulez-vous couchette avec moi?  And since I will be appointed a "Knight" may I have the right to be called Sir Dr. Ross?  Or Dr. Sir Ross? No. I have since learned that recipients are called "Chevaliers".
        *****************************************************************
.....OK. It's now May 10, and I must say that the ceremony was awesome! It's indescribable so I won't attempt to describe it.  However, I will say that as I received the medal, which was pinned to the lapel of my jacket, that I was kissed, on not one, but on both cheeks! The French are a bit slow, however; the award ceremony took place about 69 years--to the day--after the end of WWII on May 8, 1945. (JR, it was 69 years, nest-ce pas?)
 
.....My '99 Chevvy Malibu, with 94,000 miles is about to pass away.  Since I gave up my keys to RH+, there is no need for the car to remain parked in the parking lot.  Found an ad in the newspaper called "Cash for Cars", so I called them and they will be here on Monday to give me an estimate--I will be satisfied with $1200.  It just cost me $700 to have my scooter lift transferred to Rho's car.  It needed a "hitch", and the charge for the labor to switch the lifts was $75 an hour.  And I thought doctors were bad.  In my next life, I will become a dermatologist or gynecologist, and I will be an auto mechanic on weekends.


15 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM

    Well, it's great that the Frogs got round to it even though rather late, mon beau chevalier! And at least they didn't kiss you on all FOUR cheeks!! (ANOTHER piece of CHEEK!)
    Non, serieusement, c'est tres tres merveilleux. La Cousine Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you have cquired the title of s Chevalier, how soon can we expect to hear your rendition of "Thank Heaven for little Girls."
    Mike Herbstman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you have attained the rank of Chevalier, how soon can we expect to hear you sing, "Thank Heaven for Little Giirls.?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't the image of this medal be placed next to the DFC on your blog page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it should, if there's enough room, but it's been seven years since I set this up, I cannot recall how it's done.

      Delete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM

    Mike - there's a lot of of unnecessary hysteria about paedophilia nowadays: and we don't want the Baron taken into custody on suspicion of same, do we? He could instead try "Mademoiselle from Armentieres," or "Apres la guerre finie." At least the ladies in these songs, whatever else they might be, are adults. This means that they can go in for adultery!
    Joel - you are tempting your father to vaingloriousness: kindly desist.
    Mike - make me laugh again, please! You know you can do it!!
    Love to all, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK ,I'm being coerced in displaying my talent for inappropiate remarks.
    First, let me admit, to coming off the funk that I have been in,since I lost my best friend, lover and wife (same person) on April 18, 2014. After her suffering for 3 years from inoperable lung cancer, (yes, we both smoked heavily, but gave it up 20 years ago, but not early enough) she had a horrible last two months that tore me apart when I saw her in so much distress.
    Now for the good part...The many friends, The Baron and Rhoda
    were very close to us, Even in spite of my failed attempts to have The Rosses spring for an damn early bird at their expense. Nevertheless, Helen and I performed our favorite spousal argument for them.. When Helen got a little too rambunctious, she might have begun to call me names n doubt due to her lack of royal status that I failed to attain for her. My favorite retaliation was to declare in a loud voice, in a crowded setting.....Nyah, Nyah Nyah, I had you before we were married. I had you before we were married. Helen in a similar volume yelled back...and so did all your friends.
    I miss the old broad......Mike Herbstman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Ruthie, when Mike lost Helen we lost someone richer than gold--a good friend. And that's always tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM

    Well, Mike, I feel very humbled now you've told me all that, almost sorry that I asked you to make me laugh. But the anecdote about your late wife was really funny: it sounds as though she was a great girl. But I had no idea that she was so desperately ill and endured so much suffering. And I offer you my most sincere condolences and sympathies.
    However, it does occur to me that if your wife and your lover and your best friend were one and the same person, then that must have been really economical when it came to buying birthday and Xmas/Chanukah presents. What you might call value. Good call!
    Baron - agree wholeheartedly. Good friends who've been around a long time - they can't be replaced.
    Love to both of you. Cuzzin Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM

    Just to add, Mike, that I don't quite get what's wrong with sex before/outside marriage. I'm an unreconstructed 1960s woman. And let me tell you that those of us who were young in the 1960s can TELL IT LIKE IT IS 'COS WE'VE BEEN WHERE IT'S AT, har har. Cuz R x

    ReplyDelete
  10. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM

    Sorry about this, Baron dear, but I've just noticed that you've put a capital letter on "champagne." This means that you are demanding the whole province of Champagne, not a bottle of buubly. Mind you, on second thoughts, why not? You would be King Norman I of Champagne: the province would undoubtedly be well-governed, and I'd be able to come and visit your Royal Highness on a regular basis! Your obedient subject-to-be, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Champagne is not in the Baron's province of NORMANdy, so your suggestions does not make geographical sense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 19, 2014 at 12:20 AM

    This kind of consideration never worried the warring barons and dukes of France in the Middle Ages, so why should it worry us? Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete