Friday, May 23, 2014

"It's a grand old flag, a high flying flag."

.....The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an expression of fealty to the federal flag and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942. The official name of The Pledge of Allegiance was adopted in 1945. The last change in language came on Flag Day 1954 when the words "under God" were added. 

.....Today I would like to insert a little controversy into this post.  Now this may upset a lot of people (if there are a lot of people) who read this blog.  But if you read what I have to say, remember that it is my opinion, and if you should happen to disagree with me, it's no big deal.  It happens all the time. I'm talking about The Pledge of Allegiance.  It was written in 1892 to be said at all functions celebrating the 500th anniversary of Columbus's discovery.
At the time it was a simple pledge, but since then it has experienced many changes; words taken out, and words or phrases added depending on which guy has a pet idea that Congress approves of and which becomes law.  When I went to school, the law stated that every student, at the beginning of classes each day, should be compelled to stand and say the Pledge, but while I was teaching, and the words "under God" were added, students did not have to stand and pledge. And I never had any of my classes do that, either.
 
.....First of all, the Knights of Columbus, the largest Catholic organization in the country wanted "under God" inserted into the pledge.  You can't blame them, it's their calling. But not mine, so I don't stand and salute. And then the pledge these days states "...with Liberty and Justice for all. Yeah, right--and Justice for all?  I think not, so I don't stand and salute.
The first few words of the pledge states "I pledge allegiance to the flag, etc." Haven't I shown my allegiance almost every day in WWII? Hasn't my daughter shown hers, retiring as a Lt. Col. in the USMC, and my son-in-law a Colonel in the USMC showing his allegiance by giving his life for his country? Doesn't my granddaughter and her husband show their allegiance in the US Navy?  So, then, what's the need for standing up and announcing it? So I don't stand and salute.

 








10 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM

    I used to feel like you, dear Baron, but I've changed. I think that all our immigrant population and their descendants should be MADE to express fealty to Queen Elizabeth in her role of our Head of State. (We don't have a written constitution.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

    It's very strange in Britain at the moment. Our politicians are getting worked up about some of our nationals who are also Muslims going to Syria to fight in the civil war there, where they might get killed. They're busy making it a criminal offence. Quite why, I don't know: let these horrible "radicalized" Muslims go and get themselves killed if that's what they want. It suits them, and it suits us. Where's the problem?
    Btw, I think the Catholic men's organization to which you refer is called the Knights of Saint Columba. The Papacy created this as the RC equivalent of the Masons, as Freemasonry is forbidden to Catholics. How Mozart got away with membership of both, I'm not sure. Cuz R x

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the U.S. the Knights of Columbus was started in New Haven, Connecticut in 1882 by the Pastor of St. Mary's Church to help the sick and the needy. So, you have your knights and we have our knights, and don't forget I am now a Knight of the Legion of Honor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 24, 2014 at 3:37 PM

    Gosh, Baron, that's amazing! I'm always happy to learn something new. I wonder if the Knights of Columbus were founded as some sort of answer to the Knights of St Columba. I might Google it and see. Of course you're a knight, Sir Baron! And you know what we say in England? "Once a knight, always a knight: twice a knight and you're doing all right!" Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM

    Sorted! The Knights of Columbus and the Knights of St Columba are two different RC organisations for men, but they both are affiliated to the International Alliance of Catholic Knights. The KSC is the UK organisation. Surprisingly (to me at any rate) the UK society was created AFTER the USA one. (But they're all like the Masons - the all-male group engaging in mildly ridiculous activities, 'cos they've never really grown up!) Cuz R

    ReplyDelete
  6. The U.S. has a law that forbids citizens from fighting for foreign countries (although I'm sure it's ever enforced). Also, in the case of Syria, there is the fear that once certain Muslims go to fight in a foreign conflict, they will become radicalized and more loyal to causes that are in opposition to their supposed country of citizenship. Once they learned to shoot weapons, construct bombs, and kill others, coming back into UK civilian population without any control or oversight mechanisms on place could cause future problems. (and is too big a problem for MI-5 to keep track of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

    With regard to Freemasonry and Mozart, it occurred to me that he might have become a Freemason before the Papal Interdiction, so I've Googled the date of it. No: the ban on the Masons was first promulgated in 1737, and that covers Mozart's life as he lived for about 38 years and died tragically prematurely in 1791. Accordingly, it's still a mystery how he managed to be both a Catholic and a Mason. It's possible that the Catholic church wasn't as organised and efficient as it was during the era of the Inquisition: and that 18th century Vienna was a fairly tolerant and uncontrolled and uncontrollable place. That's the best explanation I can suggest. Freemasonry doesn't really pose a threat to Roman Catholicism, as far as I can see. But it does involve secret and arcane rituals: and that sort of thing doesn't assort well with Catholicism's claim to universality. I find that if you want to become a member of the Kof C or the KSC, the admission ceremony has to take place during the ordinary Sunday services. No stuff about secret meetings, special handshakes, cut down trouser legs, blindfolds, and blah. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said anything about Mozart & Free Masonry? I think you made this comment for another blog. Besides, it's too long and boring. And I have no interest in your subject. Mozart? Free Masons? My post is about the Pledge of Allegiance as far as I can tell.

      Delete
  8. Even as a kid, I couldn't understand how a "pledge" has any value or validity if it is mandatory or made under peer pressure. Also, kids don't even know what "indivisible" means. Most thought that the country was "invisible."

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM

    Baron - sorry to bore you and possibly others too, but I'm just trying to contribute to the common pool of knowledge! It was the "Knights of Columbus" bit that started me off!!
    Joel - thank you for this info on those who might be Syria-bound. I suppose it was rather optimistic of me to assume that they'd all get killed. Cuz R xxx

    ReplyDelete