Monday, March 12, 2012

"Life is a long lesson in humility" (Barrie)

.....Today I enjoyed a visit from Hal Mack and his son down from Naples.  Besides myself, Hal is the only remaining crew member of our B-24 Liberator crew.  He's 89, a year older than I am--but he's in much better shape; he still is able to play golf.  His son is about a foot taller than his dad and must be about 63.  A very pleasant man.  We took them to Gramercy for lunch and Hal picked up the check when I really wanted to.  But we agreed that I'd pay for the dinner next time we meet.  It was a joy to see Hal--we both were radiomen aboard the plane.  I firmly believe that Hal will live to see 90+.  He told me about www.honorflights.org which honors WWII veterans by taking a large group each year to the WWII memorial in Washington absolutely free.  I have an application and I will certainly send it in.  There aren't too many WWII vets around--dying at the rate of 1100 each day; that means 401,500 a year.  I plan to be the oldest WWII still living.  That's easily done; all I have to do is to take my pills and inhale two mallomars each day.  


.....I need to explain my position on living a longer life.  You take your pills for your health as your doctors have prescribed and your spouse insists.  The mallomars are for your incentive; it's encouragement to live for the mallomars the next day.  I think I will copywrite and expand on this program for longevity.  It will probably sell more books than the ones I've already published.  All I'll need is a suitable title.  Let us move on:

.....Today is my ex's birthday.  I know when she was born, but I will not divulge that information; it's not civil.  I sent her an "e-card".  They are much cheaper than the paper ones.  She's a good person and she certainly was a good mother in raising four successful and bright children.  I don't know why she decided to birth Joel only two days after her's. It puts parties too close together; who wants to go to one party on Monday and another on Wednesday?  Bad planning.  But why should I be talking; my mother birthed me two days before Leap Year.  If I was born on the 29th of February I would be a lot younger than I am now-- like "Rafe Rackstraw" in HMS Pinafore-- because our birthdays only occurred every four years.  If we go by birthdays I'd only be about 23 instead of 88.  I think I'll copyright this.

9 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM

    Is "to birth" a verb in American English? It appears to be so in this essay, dear Baron. I think that over here we would say "I bore" a baby. "I bore a daughter flower-fair," is the first line of a depressing poem by Thomas Hardy. (I think it's called "Pydel Vale" or "In Pydel Vale," and its subject is too awful to be mentioned in a column intended for family consumption!)
    With regard to the Mallomars, I absolutely agree: but I think if we inhaled them over here, then our government would criminalise them. It all reminds me of what I say when I'm asked for advice about slimming: "Eat a huge bar of chocolate 5 minutes before every meal." This generally elicits the response: "But that'll ruin my appetite!" To this I reply: "Never fails!" Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the WWII Memorial last year. I highly recommend it for anyone that has not been there. I would love to get the honor and opportunity to meet Hal, when I visit. Yes Mallomars are incentive to live longer, so keep eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth: If the Baron wrote "I don't know why she decided to bear Joel," it would reveal the fact that many people cannot bear me. Therefore, "birth" works better as the verb of choice. Using it later in the past tense is simply being consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baron is full of neologisms, birthing someone is one of them...it works well as a verb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM

    Mm, I'm not sure, Baron. It sounds horribly linked to "birthing-pools" and pseudy things like that. However, I have no objection in principle to neologisms, so keep up the good work! Joel - ambiguity can be resolved by using the phrase "give birth to." Or even the simple verb "have," which in a mother-and-child context just means bearing a child. Love to all, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)March 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM

    Oh,good, it wouldn't let me comment a few days ago. We are only 45 minutes from State C. it is our "go to"place since we are in a beautiful rural area. IF for any reason Ilana need local help or a home cooked meal, just have her get in touch with us. (814-669-9065). It is a good school and has 3 winning sports teams right now which is lifting the spirits of all after the wave of scandal.
    Oh and we have a pool and right now it's pushing summer........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear cousin Brittainness: I suggest you stick to your English English, and let our American American develop as it will. Love, Baron de Bronx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baron de Bronx, please, no more blogs in yellow. Had to visit my optician for adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM

    OK, Cuzzin Baron, I'll go with that! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete