Monday, March 26, 2012

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light." Thomas

.....I just learned from somewhere in this Google blog services that I've published 388 posts. Actually, I've written much more than 388. But whose counting?  I really should be working on my Great American Novel, but I have writer's block on that effort at the moment. Cuzzin Ruthie says it will only be the third best novel.  However, in my defense, I never said what number novel of greatness mine would be. As of now, I suspect it will be somewhere between the 2037th and 2075th best novel ever written. But, who cares?  It's acceptance is not the goal; the goal is to write it and finish it and let Lulu publish it and then let the Devil take the hindmost--whatever that means.

.....Another sad event has occurred among those that have happened recently. Leila Fallet died. Leila had the voice of an opera singer and she played important parts in the book shows that we produced here for our stage..and we did many B'way performances--but way off B'way. I hope this passing away is not catching; John Reardon died, Tom O'Connor, Howard Wolfe, a downstairs neighbor Danny, and now Leila. I'm going to Walgreen's or CVS tomorrow to see if they have any preventive over-the-counter medication. I'm not prepared to go just yet.

.....Even Rhoda's laptop passed away peacefully. Consequently, we went to Best Buy and bought her a new one. A geek there took all the stuff Rho had on the old one and transferred them to the new one.  Rhoda is no expert on the computer, but she does very well. Only on occasion do I have to help her--if I can.  I try to think about what we did when we didn't have computers. I know I never could have written my autobiography on a typewriter; and blogs were not well known, nor was email.  We had to depend on the telephone to communicate with our kids or grandkids. And the weird thing to note is that before the telphone, there were smoke signal.  

8 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM

    No, dear Baron, the third is what it will be. So it'll be better than "Pride 'n' Prejudice," all of Dickens, all of Trollope, etc. (Fill in your own faves here)
    I am so sorry that your friend has died, and that so many of your fiends are going that way. Long life to you.
    I don't know how we managed before computers: communicating with abroad was prohibitively difficult or expensive or both: and you and I would probably not have got to know each other. Speaking for myself, that would have been a great loss! Additionally, Google makes many research tasks much quicker: I used to to betake myself to the City Library, and while this is delightful 1930s building with an unique atmosphere, the time saving nowadays is considerable. (Google "Sheffield City Library" and see the handsome building for yourself!) Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, dear Ruthie, I know that losing you and the support I get from you would be a horrific loss indeed. And thank you for your confidence in my book. I am not so sure about being able to complete it at all. So, let's just say it would be the Greatest American uncompleted novel ever uncompleted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM

    Thank you, Cuzzin, for your kind words. However, far you get or don't get with the novel, I know I'm going to love it, because your intro/synopsis was so funny. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny? Funny? My synopsis was funny? I read it and I didn't laugh. It's not supposed to be funny''it's science fiction! OK. If you found it to be funny (where, exactly?} then I'll make it funny.

      Delete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

    It was funny at the end, where your chief character, whose powers you have adumbrated as stupendous, confines himself to picking up a lady's dropped shopping at Macy's and to eating a hot-dog. I'd categorise that as a brilliantly funny example of bathos. If it wasn't bathos, then maybe it was pathos. Well, anyway, I enjoyed it. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)March 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

    Blogging is sure to delay death for a decade. Forget CVS. Blogging is cheaper and gives instant pleasure to others which explains its restorative/preventive powers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Science fiction can be very funny. Just read one chapter of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM

    That's right, Joel - Douglas Adams is known over here as the man who could make being intelligent funny. I loved the "Hitchhiker" trilogy - all 5 books of it! (Yes, no mistake here, honestly!) If you recall, my first comment on your dad's work was that it was a cross between "Catch 22" and the "Hitchhiker" books. And if Adams were famous for nothing else, he'd still be great, on account of having invented the spine-chilling phrase "the long dark teatime of the soul." But I think you need to be in England of a Sunday in winter to grasp the full all-encompassing horror of that....Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete