Saturday, March 10, 2012

"HIs cares are now all ended." (Henry IV)

.....Things are getting out of hand here.  I keep getting information about my colleagues from North Shore H.S. who are dying, and several of them too recently. There's Tom O'Connor,who taught English; then Sam Schiffer, our soccer coach and Vice Principal and a good friend; "Moose" Reardon, our A.D. and football coach, and just a few days ago, Howard Wolfe, our counselor.  All of these friends I've known for at least twenty-five years, and even though I haven't  seen them in many years, just the loss of these men has saddened me and darkened my recent days. I have seen Howard recently when he and his wife, Marge, joined us for dinner, and so news of his death was a shock.

....Enough of that.  Let's get into some politics.  Something is wrong when my Republican friends call President Obama the "worst president in history."  Are they wearing blinders?  Or have they been brainwashed by Tea Party propaganda?  He inherited the worst recession since the Depression when I was a kid.  I remember those days.  We are not in a recession now; When he took office the Dow hovered around 7900; it is now 12,700 and heading up.
....When he took office we were at war in Iraq.  We are out of Iraq, and the war in Afghanistan is winding down.
....When he took office Osama bin Laden was alive and planning terrorist attacks with Al Qaida in our country; Many of his associates are now dead, as is Gadhafi.
....When he took office GM and Chrysler were ready to declare bankruptcy, and now they are viable companies.
....His administration has done more to stem tax cheating than any administration in history.
....In February 227,000 new jobs were created--over 200,000 for the third straight month--a sign that the economy is growing.
....And as foreign policy is concerned, he has improved our relationship with foreign countries more than Bush ever did.
....The "worst President"?  Give me a break--I mean give Obama a break also.  Give us both a break

....The other sad news I have to report is that RH+'s laptop computer died overnight in its sleep.  It went peacefully, but there are a lot of files left in it; we can't figure out how to save them.  But we are hoping that some techie can do it.  While we are waiting to buy a new laptop for her, she is getting her email on mine.  I find that if any problems occur we can get them fixed by a "chat" online.  Usually, the guy who fixes it is working in India.  We are certainly in a new world--the 21st Century.  I will continue working on my science fiction novel.  I'm making it up as I go along, but I'm way ahead of this century. Ipods are passe.

6 comments:

  1. As a 1960 graduate of North Shore, I share your grief. Sam Schiffer was among the kindest men I have ever met. He really cared about his soccer and basketball players. I spoke with him two years ago in California and he was delighted to hear from one of his former players. Moose (John Reardon) was an icon. Evryone loved that big lug. A demanding coach who knew how to challenge his wrestlers without degrading them. He was a loved gentle giant and talented cartoon artist. In fact, we had great coaching at North Shore with Phil Bergavoy, Norman Ross, Sam and the Moose. Together you changed for better hundreds of young men and I was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM

    My condolences and respects on the deaths of so many old friends, dear Baron. Also to Phil B on the death of "Moose" Reardon, whose ill-health I believe he mentioned a few months ago.
    No, I can't see that Obama has been such a disaster as President. Can someone who is a Republican please explain to me some rational grounds for this allegation? It all reminds me of when some Republicans said "Hot damn!" when Obama and not their Party nailed Osama bin Laden: they cannot claim to be truly patriotic. Bin Laden was without any shadow of doubt an enemy of world freedom, and we were all pleased when he got taken out. Those Republicans looked like an ungracious and warped lot!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cuz, this is not to offend you or the Baron but much of the Obama bashing is nothing more than pay back. When George Bush was president, the democrats and press were absolutely over the top with their rhetoric. Was George II a good president? Not the point. The vilification was over the top even while the dems controlled both the house and senate. That went down hard for many republicans and independents. So Obama, whose work is debatable, is getting that backlash. We've lost civiity but it's the fault of a society that has become complacent about, even accepting of, vulgar language and bad behavior.

      Delete
  3. For years I spoke with John Reardon at least once a month. Even in his illness he had a phenomenal recall of former students and was very interested in hearing good news about them. I never told him anything negative because he was deeply affected when he learned bad news from other sources.

    The last time I spoke with him was two weeks before he died. He was very weak and we cut the conversation short but not before he told me that he loved his students, one and all. When I called a week later, he was unable to come to the phone.

    As Foxy Bob said, the Moose changed many lives for the better. R.I.P., Big John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

    Dear Bob - I have no knowledge either way of the vilification you mention. However, if you think that something is wrong, then YOU shouldn't be doing it. Do you think that the tone of public life has deteriorated? Clearly, for you have so stated. Do you wish it to improve? Again, yes, clearly, this is inferable from your words. How is it going to improve unless people who think it ought to be improved start to improve it? We teach our children: "two wrongs don't make a right." I also heard a good song that started: "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me!" Get out of THAT one, Bob dear! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love to listen to the dialogue between two very bright people.

    ReplyDelete