Thursday, October 13, 2011

What is this thing called "Love"? This funny thing called "Love"?

.....We had some good news the other day when we went to Hollywood so that RH+ could have a scheduled UltraSound on her thyroids.  She had been told by a local endocrinologist that her weight loss and kidney & loss of appetite problems were due to parathyroidism and that she would have to have surgery.  However, the ultrasound found nothing wrong with her thyroids & RH+ was overjoyed...well, maybe not "overjoyed", but at the least, "joyed".  The bad news is that no doctor, with confidence, has been able to tell her why she had such a weight loss. But now she has to go through a battery of blood tests which various involved doctors have ordered. The result of the ultrasound took a big load off my back, so to speak.  Why?  Because I couldn't tolerate seeing her so ill and so depressed. When we got back home on Tuesday, I sent her this poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.


   How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
    I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
    My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
    For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
    I love thee to the level of everyday's
    Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
    I love thee freely, as men might strive for Right;
    I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
    I love thee with the passion put to use
    In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
    I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
    With my lost saints,–I love thee with the breath,
    Smiles, tears, of all my life!–and, if God choose,
    I shall but love thee better after death.



Pretty powerful stuff, don't you think?

.....Well, I did find something else to do with myself besides lounging in my lounging chair and watching the boob tube. I apologize for the use of the word "boob".  I don't want my hard drive to be impounded by the FBI. For as long as I find it interesting and fun, I'll be playing poker on Wednesday nights...that is, until the regular seventh guy gets back from up north.  My first crack at it I lost $5. That makes me furious. While I was on the job I had a weekly game with my colleague teachers & I hardly ever lost anything because those guys were such bad poker players.  In fact. BD, handed me a $5 bill even before the game started!  Of course, I did not want any money for free, but he did lose $5 most of the time, if not more. Gee, I really miss him.  Come on down, buddy.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Unca Phil & Cuzzin Ruth; What is this thing called "Love"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netOctober 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM

    Dunno. Search me! But it's fun spending your life trying to find out. And the Greeks had THREE words for it .....eros....philia....agape...and if THEY were confused, what hope for the rest of us? Luvya anyway! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netOctober 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM

    So glad that the Baroness doesn't have anything wrong with her parathyroid, subject to her not having anything worse.
    I'm getting better from my brain-rot at the moment. I missed a super "dead poets" evening through illness. I could have gone as Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I'd have borrowed my daughter's toy dog, put a bag round its neck, and stuck ££ and $$ and €€ signs on the bag. Then I could have said it was Flush

    ReplyDelete