Sunday, October 9, 2011

"Here comes the Sun...let the Sun shine in". (Whoever)

.....Today was a wonderful day...I mean for certain--full of wonder.  The wind blew open our front door.  A mystery how it got unlocked.  We were going out for Sunday breakfast and as I got onto the catwalk with my walker, the breeze couldn't but help to soften, and even alleviate, my depressed mood.  I looked up to the blue sky laden with white and grey clouds which were being swiftly wafted along by the atmospheric winds.  They moved through the sky like great white whales in the sea.  The palm trees all bent in the wind along with all the other green life, and all in the same direction, and all at the same time---it was all like music-- a phantasmagoria of a green symphony of nature.  It was simply poetry in motion--and an ineluctable approach of winter.  I never lost my awe of the fact that we are on a whirling planet somewhere in a vast and endless, constantly expanding universe.  And in the midst of the terrible times we are living in with millions of jobless Americans, with the foreclosure of people's homes, with the fear of terrorism, with the bickering of our government, we have grown out of touch with the nature that is all around us.

.....It was Wordsworth who wrote, ".....the world is too much with us, late and soon, getting and spending; we lay waste our powers...little we see in nature that is ours; we have given our hearts away, a sordid boon.  The sea that bares her bosom to the moon, the winds that will be howling at all hours, and are upgathered now like sleeping flowers.  For this, for everything we are out of tune...it moves us not.  
.....He goes on to say that he would rather resort to Paganism  believing that it would help him to get back to appreciate the wonders of the natural world as pagans apparently did...to see Proteus rising from the sea; or hear old Triton "blow his wreathed horn".  Well, I don't have to be a pagan...but every once in a while when the world is too busy on my back, I crawl out from under and once again turn my attention away from the issues that assault me and I feel in my soul the earthly wonders of this planet...and it heals.  It heals.

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netOctober 11, 2011 at 12:27 AM

    Great stuff, Baron! I'm feeling a little better, you'll be glad to hear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)October 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM

    Thank you so much for something that lifts all of us up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Let the sunshine in", was a song that was sung by the 5th Dimension back in the late 60's for the musical, "Hair".
    "Here Comes the Sun" was a song written by George Harrison for the Beatles also in the late 60's.
    Good memory dad!It's all about the Sun!

    ReplyDelete