Monday, October 3, 2011

"Beware the Ides of October"

.....In the last post, I mentioned that I had sent a congratulatory electronic card to Hannah on her new job.  Today I received her reponse...to wit; "Thank you.  That's a very sweet gesture to send me a note."  Actually, I was of the opinion that we sent something a little more than a "note".  But, at least it was a response.  Our sweet gesture consisted of the card and the accompanying note: "Congratulations.  We are very proud of you. Now go out and celebrate, girl!"  I was somewhat disappointed in Hannah's response which I thought was rather terse. One more sentence would have done the trick.  

.....Today, I went back to the hyperbaric treatment which is supposed to hurry the healing process of a wound that is taking its time to heal.  I don't have too much faith that it is going to work; it didn't appear to me that it did much good the last time I entered their oxygen chamber; but who knows? I'm desperate to try anything at this point.  I'm really tired of the pain that this wound comes with.  I have endured it for seven months now.  AND I'M TIRED OF IT!!

.....New subject.  Son, Bobby, who is an experienced member of e-Bay, who, in his 50s, is still playing the demanding game of soccer, who is a crack salesman of Harley's (a bike salesman, not a salesman of crack), and who has a new girlfriend named Michelle -- who was here about a month ago and who is a very personable young lady...and what I mean to say is that Bobby sold a gold coin for me on e-Bay to a buyer in Indiana.  I bought the coin from the mint a couple of years ago for $1189 and this guy bought it after a high bid of $2850.  So I packed it up and sent it to him by UPS.  When it was delivered to him, he had a "change of mind" and refused the delivery...which is now on its way back to me.  The guy must be a little loony because there is no way he can get his money back...so Bobby and I are going to sit tight and see what his next move is going to be.  The bottom line is that I can keep the coin if I choose to do so.  More to come...stay tuned.  This is weird!    (Signed: King & Emperor of all I Survey...nee Red Baron)

3 comments:

  1. Oh mighty Emperor, master of all anyone surveys, I do not understand your complaint re: Hannah. You sent her 13 words and she sent back 12. She is probably working long hours in her new job which is very important to her glorious future. I'm sure that she meant no slight. You have never been a curmudgeon, and it's too late to change the habits of a lifetime.

    Saddest of all, your attitude will make her less likely to respond to you in the future. Henry James would have had a different solution.

    More important, do whatever it takes to heal that pesky sore and to get back as many of your physical powers as possible.

    Of course you must also help Rhoda overcome whatever ails her. These are the important things in your life. Whether your granddaughter is a day late and a word short is of no consequence.

    Please continue to spread your light and your love. In a dark and dreary world, what you can offer is NEEDED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps those of you who may be concerned about my "complaint" re: Hannah's response to my CONGRATULATORY CARD to her ought to read or reread the post of Oct.1 on my blog. It is there that I print the wonderful words about her from her new boss at Skye Associates. But I've heard no compliments about my doing that. Nor did anyone care to say that it was a "sweet gesture". I also finished the blog by writing, "We are proud of and happy for her." Any complaints about that out there? Ought she not to feel good about what her grandfather has said and done? Ought my readers not recognize that?
    .....My writing that I was "somewhat disappointed" in her reponse refers to me, and not to her! Get it? But complainers tend to read as they choose. My disappointment refers to my problem, and was or is not about her. I justly yearned to hear a trifle more about her life which I know so little about, and I'm her grandfather. So, I would ask my detractors in this instance to be a little more understanding of my needs as a grandparent and recognize my sadness at this vacuum in my life. This child knows little or nothing about me, and a couple of my readers who know me very well choose to react on their own biases in this matter instead of understanding why I was disappointed, and that I am not a curmudgeon type and that I was not picking on poor Hannah. The fault does not lie with Hannah nor "in my stars," but in myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear PB: My "attitude"? Really? Just exactly how would you describe this so called "attitude"? I was disappointed in that I did not learn more about her job and her life from her response. Her response was fine and acceptable; mine was not. This "attitude" which you make out to be pejorative had nothing to do with Hannah...my disappointment was my problem, not hers. What do I have to do to make this clear? Why does everyone take Hannah's back and punch me in the gut?

    ReplyDelete