Thursday, May 7, 2009

"When angry, count four: when very angry, swear." Mark Twain

...I was injured yesterday.I don't know if this is a suitable subject for this blog, but I don't have anything else to discuss at the moment. (Oh, yes, I just thought about it. All four published versions of my blog and eventually this one are for the benefit of my great, and great great grandchildren, if I ever get any, so that they will know something about me if they are curious enough). But now I believe you may be curious enough to know how I got hurt yesterday in Wal*Mart.
.....I was standing by a greeting card stand that had four sides which you could spin around to look for the perfect card. I found two cards for Mothers' Day and as I was about to walk away, seven or eight cartons of bottled water fell down right behind me and a couple of them hit the side and back of my left leg and produced bloody lacerations--like I had on the auto train ride. The cartons fell because they were piled too high in the aisle. Since I'm on coumadin, I bleed alot with an injury like that, so when no one appeared to help me off my knees, I pressed the two cards against the wounds. (They were $5 each, ha ha) Finally, a tall black employee picked me up and we walked together (with my cane, of course) to a bench near the rest room. The bench also happened to be right near the product return area and two women were there. I yelled to them to get the manager or someone to bandage the wounds!! One was on the outside of my left leg and another right under the bend in the knee.
.....After what seemed like a lifetime, the Ass't. Manager came and looked annoyed that blood was on the floor. Then an employee showed up with wads of toilet paper which she used to wipe up the blood with her foot. You would think a store like that would have a mop, at least. The Ass't. Manager, Rosemary asked one of the women behind the return desk for a first aid kit which she did produce. Quite a kit; it had no gauze pads large enough for my needs, no bandages, no rolls of tape! I said to Rosemary, please do something for my lacerations. Her response? "We're not allowed to do that, do you want 9ll?" "NO, NO, I WANT SOMETHING RIGHT NOW,OR I'LL GO AND BLEED ALL OVER YOUR FRUIT!" So, a customer put a small square of gauze on my leg and held it down with bandaids! I have no clue as why Rosemary didn't send someone down to the pharmacy to get the products I needed. After the wounds were covered sloppily, Rosemary gave me a clip board with a form to fill out explaining what happened. I told her I couldn't write because of the tremors in my hand. Her response? "Well, we're not allowed to do it."
.....So, I got up and left for my car. No one offered to help me get there. I know I was somewhat in shock, but I courageously caned my way to the car and drove directly to my doctor's office where he pulled the skin back over the wound and taped me up. He wants me back tomorrow. Well, that's my story. Every day a new adventure. Right above the bench I sat on was a big sign which read, "SAFETY FOR OUR CUSTOMERS IS OUR FIRST CONCERN."

3 comments:

  1. Why didn't you use your Shakespearean swear-phrases on them, in a loud projected voice? You might have had more satisfaction, plus a built-in audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should find out who the actual store manager is and file a complaint. since you were injured in their store, the should have been more attentive to your injuries. not to mention they should pay you for your medical care(even if it doesn't cost you anything)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://willpen.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/walmart-evil-2.jpg

    ReplyDelete