Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"If nothing is going well, call your grandparents." (Anon)

.....I’m not so sure as to where this blog is going to take me today, but I am not going to dodge the challenge. There are no parents in Huntington Lakes, only grandparents, and for many years I have been admiring the warm and loving relationships I observe that my friends share with their grandchildren. They touch each other on holidays, birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, and on many another occasion that offers an opportunity for family gatherings—more often in Florida than anywhere the children and grandchildren happen to live. The reason for this, I imagine, is because many of the residents here are elderly and too frail for any lengthy traveling. They can’t wander too far away from their doctors. And that includes me.
…..Unfortunately, and blamelessly, I have not had a close relationship with my own grandchildren, who now that they are all in their 20s and pursuing their careers, have--sad to
say
-- become to me more like mere acquaintances. I don't know them, and I fear they don't know me. I have not had the opportunity to share their lives to any great degree as they were growing up. My son, Joel, whose work with the government took him to England, Panama, and Japan for long periods of time while raising two children, precluded my being able to see them to hold them, to kiss them, to take them places, in short--to grandparent them and to spoil them. …..Consequently, I’m not certain that they even knew what a grandparent was—except on the few occasions that we did get to see them when their parents said—“Oh, say hello to Grandpa and Grandma.”—a dictum which they obeyed, shyly and perhaps, reluctantly.
.....These days, Hannah, an NYU grad is working as a successful fashion photographer for several magazines in California, and Adam, having graduated from George Mason University, now has his own computer graphics business. We rarely hear from either of them.
…..My son, Bobby, lived in California before he moved to Virginia to sell Harley bikes. His daughter, although schooled in Virginia, remained still a California girl. Although she was warm and friendly, Rhoda and I did not get to see her very often, even though we invited her and any friend to spend her holidays with us. She never took advantage of that offer. Now, Katrina is in the Navy, stationed in Hawaii, and who knows when we will meet again. Although she professes love for us, and I have no reason not to believe her, we rarely hear from her in spite of the fact that she probably has a cell phone and access to a computer.
…..Robin, though not with children of her own, still was mother to Richard Higgins’ daughter, Chrissy, and raised her for most of her childhood days. But after her father’s death, Chrissy left Robin—and Rhoda and me, hardly ever to be seen again—the last time at the commissioning of the USS HIGGINS several years ago.
….My daughter Bonny, who owns a dog-grooming business in California has done a wonderful job with her son, Sean, who is an accomplished surfer and who earns his living in a summer camp teaching children and adults how to surf . Sean is also a talented artist who has done some wonderful paintings which eventually, no doubt, will benefit and prosper from his maturity. Sean and I have had several long phone conversations, and I have edited some of the papers he has had to write for school. But California is a long way from Florida—and Grandpa.
…..We have always remembered our grandchildren’s graduations and their birthdays with financial gifts, but written “thank you” notes were not always forthcoming. Rhoda and I never receive birthday or anniversary or Mothers’ Day or Fathers’ Day or Grandparents’ Day greetings. I never get a phone call from any of them on Veterans’ or Memorial Day to thankfully honor the fact that their existence is owed to me as the patriarch of the family. I managed to return from the war just in time to spawn their parents—who incidentally are a very loving and close knit sibling group—and that’s a blessing. I doubt, too, that any of my grandchildren have ever read my “Memoirs” or that they ever read this blog. I suppose reading is not one of the skills or interests of their generation.
…..Now, some might say, “Why don’t you call them? Why don’t you write to them?” Well, no doubt that is good advice, but motivation in this direction wanes when there is so little response. Well, my purpose in writing this blog is what the Greeks call “catharsis”. Blogging is my medium. There is no blame for this unfortunate situation…at least I’m not blaming anyone. This is just what is, and what it is, and life’s vagaries is responsible. Time to move on.

16 comments:

  1. There is a less obvious benefit to all this: I, as someone "stuck in the middle" of the grandparent/grandchild dynamic, have been able to discern which steps to take (and which not to take) to avoid a similar situation with my own grandchildren (assuming that they eventually appear). I believe that my siblings have made similar obervations and conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't receive a call on my birthday; and I just received an impersonal ecard.

    If you want to speak to me= call me. Phones work both ways. I call you every birthday and recently sent you an extensive message about my life. Rather than making a public display about our relationship, why don't you speak to me directly about "us." It hurts me that rather than improve our relationship by talking to me, you display it to others as flawed. It makes me think that you never wanted a relationship, just sympathy.

    I always have wanted to be close to you, but I just don't know how at this point. I keep trying, and it's never good enough for you.

    love always,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Baron says: If a card is signed by your grandparents, it is not "impersonal". What did you expect? Flowers? With grandparents, phones do not work "both ways". One "extensive" message a year is not extensive. 400 blogs and four published books of them is extensive. Scolding a grandparent is anathema. A blog is not a public display. It's a journal. Your belief that your grandfather only wants sympathy is insulting and presumptive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sugar Barrel, get yourself a soap box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, This is Grandma Rhoda, as you notice I did not say step-grandma because I have never considered you, your sibling or your cousins my step-grandchildren. I have always sent you a “real” birthday card. One which I take the time to find, just for you. Grandpa and I have always included money or sent a toy when you were a youngster. I don’t ever remember receiving a card from you unless it was one your mom picked out & signed your name. I do remember taking you shopping for a special 16th birthday present. When I was 16, my grandma bought me a special present and I wanted to do the same for you. That day, you treated me abusively and whenever I suggested a gift, you refused it. I was very upset that day, and YOU were to blame. What should have been a lovely day for a Grandma & her Granddaughter turned out to be horrible. I don’t know what you expect from a relationship, but I think you expect too much from the other person and not enough from yourself. The message you sent to your Grandfather was uncalled for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like some redheaded girl stepped in it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a redheaded girl made some fine points. And I cannot believe Grandma Rhoda's story -- how can one ever imagine that a teenage girl could be moody?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous: according to who?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, who said she's a teenager? She's 24.
    Regards, Baron

    ReplyDelete
  10. She was 24 on her 16th birthday? No wonder she is moody.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog should be renamed, "The Whine list"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your perspicuous perspicaciousness is to be nothing if not admired, thereal, whoever you might be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please spare me the comments; this is not a contest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The most egregious comment in this section is, "According to who?" The Baron was very forebearing by passing the opportunity to rap knuckles with a ruler and intone, "WHOM!!!!!"

    in these matters, true perception is elusive. Each person sees only with his own perception. It would be a useful exercise to role play and take the position of someone who has a different outlook than you do.

    Anonymous and thereal were well advised to use pseudonyms.

    Having five grandchildren and four more who adopted us as grandparents, I just realized how fortunate I am. Objectively, they are equally fortunate.

    God bless all of you beautiful souls! May you find both inner and outer peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As an impartial observer who is very fond of every Ross of every generation, here is the truth:

    No parent will ever find more dedicated, loving children than Robin, Joel, Bobby, and Bonnie. And the reverse is also true.

    I get along very well with my children, grandchildren, and friends because I expect nothing from them, and therefore am more than content with what I receive.

    Playing Lear may be good on the stage but it doesn't cut it in real life; neither does performing Goneril.

    So, enjoy whatever time you have with the people you love even if they don't always do what you believe they should.

    Our time here is so short. It seems like only a year or so ago that I attended Joel's bar mitzvah, the only one I have attended to this very day.

    Soon Joel will be 21. Where has the time gone? So, imho, do not waste it on fruitless and bootless pursuits and don't forget to gather ye rosebuds on the way.

    Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Allow me to be the first and latest comment producer: Well said. And who is Burgherboy? As usual, he is question to the answer "He is the one who is wise among us."

    ReplyDelete