Friday, May 15, 2009

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." (2 Henry IV)

.....My last blog was a week ago, and probably the longest time between blogs since August, 2007. I have a couple of weak excuses, but they will have to do; I haven't felt too motivated since the accident at WalMart; and two, there hasn't been anything happening that I felt passionate enough about that would send me blogward. So, whatever comes out here, today, will probably be just some mundane stuff that may lack interest for readers.
.....A paralegal from the firm of Steinger & Iscoe, P.A. was here the other day asking a million questions about the accident I had at WalMart. While he was here, he took pictures of my leg--which was wrapped up like a fajita--so, I don't know what good that will do for the case. I'm really not a litigious guy, but I have already spent about $80 on doctor bills, and I mean to get that back--at least--from that store. After giving me about a dozen papers to sign, he left saying that I should expect a call from the firm's doctor to examine me. That call came this morning from a chiropractor in Delray whom, I suppose, means to do some rehab on my back which was injured in the incident in some way. So, I will be seeing him next Tuesday. Stay tuned in to this remarkable story.
.....Having very little to do at this point in the summer, I went to the Theatre Arts Class in the clubhouse which meets every Thursday afternoon for two hours to "study" acting. So, yesterday was the second time I went and it was quite fun. I met a few of the people I had performed with in previous shows, and also some that I had never met before. We did some of the same things I had done in my acting classes in college and with Val Chevron in adult ed classes down here in Boca H.S. for two years. It included some "improvs" which activity I am not too fond of, but I participated anyway. The improv given me was that a woman was to ask me the question, "Why don't you keep your promises," or something to that effect. After about three or four minutes of bantering that topic around and listening to others doing improvs, we were given items of prose which each of us was to "sight" read. I still believe that to become a decent actor for the amateur or professional stage, one must be asked to sight read a passage from one of Shakespeare's plays. Well, perhaps I'm prejudiced because I taught Shakespeare for many years and acted out many of his passages and soliloquy's for my students. Of course, when I did this, they were mesmerized and spellbound; of course, I can't prove it. But now, I do wish I'd be asked to do something from Shakespeare in this class I'm in now with fellow residents. During the season after the snowbirds have returned the class puts in a few skits in the ballroom once every Friday, I believe, at which snacks are provided to the audience which usually numbers about at least a hundred or so. I'm not sure if they come for the show or the snacks. It's the economy, you know.
.....Today is a drippy kind of day, a day which reminds me of a favorite tune of mine, "It's a Rainy Night in Georgia," a tune which I always find rather melancholy. One of my most favorite moods just happens to be melancholyism....sort of like a latter day Hamlet.It's odd, but friends always get a charge out of the fact that I very rarely laugh at the punchline of a joke that I hear. It's not that I never laugh at a joke, but only when it's told by a professional. Not too many people that I know are able to tell a joke in a way that will make me laugh--smile, perhaps. But even then I'm fearful that they will see my "partial"; it's bad enough that they can see my cane and my hearing aids.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you passed down your do-not-laugh-so-easily to your son and grandson. I'm often asked "Didn't you think that was funny?" and I usually respond, "It was ok" (because I don't want to say "no"). I think the best laughs (evoked by non-pro comedians) is something unexpected, rather than something preceded by "Hey, here's a funny joke...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are numerous studies that laughter is good medicine. A recent article in Psychology Today says, "Laughter reduces pain, increases job performance, connects people emotionally, and improves the flow of oxygen to the heart and brain. " Another psychologist prescribes, "Thirty minutes of exercise three times a week, and 15 minutes of laughter on a daily basis is probably good for the vascular system."

    So, I would take that to mean that one should seek opportunities to laugh and try to laugh whenever possible rather than stifle even a hint at a laugh. It will improve your health and the health of the person who made you laugh (professional or not).

    ReplyDelete