Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"Sleep shall neither night nor day Hang upon (this) pent-house lid." (Macbeth)

...Today is my 85th Passover and it did not start out very well. When I got out of bed I was so dizzy that the whole room whirled and twisted around. I guess it was my fault for disobeying the therapist I had gone to yesterday to cure my dizziness that only occurred when I got out of a chair, and which only lasted a few seconds. Well, the therapist had me do certain things which I shall not describe, but his dictum was that I was to sleep sitting up in bed instead of lying down. I did fall asleep in that position but when I awakened at 3a.m. I felt that I could not fall asleep again in that sitting up position so I fell asleep in the usual position. This spell of dizziness when I got out of bed in the morning did not last for a few seconds--is lasted for at least three hours, so I figured I screwed up. When I returned to the therapist today, he proceeded to do the same therapy to me as he did yesterday and told me I had to sleep sitting up the whole night--or else! So, Rhoda and I carried in the lounge that we had on the terrace and brought in the living room. That's where I'll be sleeping tonight because the lounge could be brought into a more comfortable sitting position. I am not looking forward to it.
Friday, April 9:
...Well, I did it. I slept all night on the lounge in the living room--sitting up. Except for the time I went into the kitchen at 2:30 am for some grapes and an apple--then back to bed. I don't know how this blog is going to show up after I publish it, because it's run into the second day. This morning I had to have a blood test at my internist's office; problem is I screwed up again; I took my "night" pills instead of my "morning" pills. The night pills included a sleeping pill, so I might be in real trouble trying to keep awake this afternoon as opposed to getting to sleep at night--when the therapist said I must again sleep sitting up. The good news is that I awoke without the kind of dizziness I had yesterday. In fact, I had no dizziness at all. That's an encouragement, but my fear is that after I get therapy on the vertigo in the other ear, I may have to continue to sleep sitting up. Isn't that what the Indians used to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment