Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"The teacher is like the candle which lights others in consuming itself." (Ruffini)??

I've been getting so many e-mails and messages on Facebook from former students who are now in their 50s and 6Os that it is becoming difficult and time consuming to respond to all of them individually. So I created a folder called "Students" and I put all their addresses in that folder so that if I want too send a generic letter, I could send it to all of them all at once and BCC it so that the e-mail addresses will not show. I sent one out yesterday like this:

Hi all of you. I have a few words in my head I'd like to share with you. On Friday I will turn 85. It feels rather weird to have reached that age. Except for a few physical problems, I feel much younger, and my brain teems with memories of you. I have lived my life with ruthless personal standards of excellence. Of course, I'm human, and along the way, I have fallen a few times, but I always picked myself up and continued my journey which culminated with the publishing my book, "Memoirs of a Tail Gunner" ... my autobiography.... I feel fortunate that along the way my path crossed with yours, and I will always remember you as you were back then, long ago. Beautiful teenagers. Stay well and use your talents to the limits because talent allowed to fust in you unused is a negation of life.

Love, "Doc" Ross
As I've said several times in my blog...these sentiments from students are for the record because I do not want to lose them. Some of them have previously been shared in Vol.IV of this blog which has already been published. If you care to buy one, just "google" the title, "Pater Noster in Condoland Vol.IV. It is dedicated to Phil Bergovoy, my dearest friend and I'm going to send him a copy.
So, here is a sentiment by one of my dearest students:

"You are very special to me, and I love you very much. I always have and I always shall.
You're in my thoughts each day--especially on your birthday....Betsy,'58


Doc,I mentioned on myspace.com that you taught me a lesson of life. I would like to expound a bit if you don't mind.When you coached me in track, at one meet you placed me in the low hurdles. I was blessed with a long torso and short legs. I knocked over more hurdles than I cleared. You had Bruce Roth who would glide over hurdles as if they did not exist. I did not question your reasoning I just listened to your advice. "If you fall down just get up and finish the race". I lost big time, but I never forgot those words. Every time I fell down in life I got up so I could finish the race. Thank you Doc for that life lesson!!
Rich "Ducky" Bennett

Dear Dr. Ross,Warmest wishes to you for a happy birthday on Friday! I will be thinking of you with love. Please know that you changed my life forever, and I have been trying to pass it along in my teaching for the last 45 years.
yours, Betsy Hegeman

Now, as a teacher, what more can you ask of these "seniors"? These sentiments are very uplifting. They clear any depression in a second. I was a teacher and a coach for 30 years and I am humbled that I apparently have touched so many lives; as my 85th birthday approaches, at least that is one legacy I'll be leaving.

Vol. IV of "Paternoster" is in my hands and I also would like to share the dedication on the copyright page:

Phil Bergovoy a "sui generis" persona. A staunch and loyal friend; an outstanding teacher and athletic coach whose friendship I cherish and Honor.

This post has been a joy to write. I only wish there will be some more like this as we live along. Perhaps when I blow out the 85 candles, I will have time for a few wishes.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Baron. Hope you had a great birthday, and many more to come.

    ReplyDelete