Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Politeness goes far, yet it costs nothing." (Samuel Smiles) ??

I was out to dinner the other night with my in-laws and two of Rhoda's grandchildren, Ilana (15) and Allyson--I think 11.. They were visiting, as they do almost every Presidents' week, and this was the second time we were to dinner with them while they were here. They've gone back to Merrick, NY where it's much colder than here. But they have to go back to work in order to send the girls to college one day, in addition to a Bat Mitzvah for Ally--not to mention the weddings that are very possible in the future. Sometimes I stop and wonder why anyone has children; it creates such a struggle for a long period of time. Schopenhauer suggested that having children be banned--but then again, as I have noted in a previous posting, he was a pessimist. Nevertheless, those loving couples who have recently been married should give some thought to postponing the family plan until the economy improves. But I started this post in order to complain, not only about cell phones, iPods, Blackberries (?) and such and such. The two girls at the two dinners we shared stared at their Blackberries, playing games, or sending text messages all through our dinner without uttering a word, or contributing to the conversations. I mentioned to Jeff, the father, that I would never permit my children to do such a thing--good manners are required in a civilized country. But Dad replied, "It's a different era." At which response I was struck dead. With a little wine, I recovered, and I countered by telling him that the girls' using their equipment at the dinner table was rude. And that was that.
There was an article in today's newspaper about Facebook. It started only a few years ago and now there are millions of people inviting other people, known or not, to be friends. One Facebook socializer maintained that she had 5000 friends! I keep getting invited to join and be a friend by my known friends, mostly former students, and unknown "friends." It seems to be multiplying in my inbox. I did get a welcome note from one of my known friends from high school, Alan Levine:
Norman: Best wishes on your 85th, and many more to come.
You were , and continue to be an inspiration to all who have been taught by you, and by all who closely follow your blogs.
Well, messages like that give me a lift, and it's good to know that there are friends who are following my blog but who are unknown as followers. However, I don't believe there are 5000 of them. At least I hope not, because if there are, I'd be burdened with guilt if I should ever stop writing thus disappointing such a mob.
Today, Rhoda went on a field trip to some castle with a bunch of City of Hope women, and I've been left to fend for myself. So, I went to breakfast at I-Hop where they were doling out a free short-stack of pancakes all day long. When I got there it was a zoo. About a dozen people were waiting for a table, so seeing a seat at the counter, I took it. However, I didn't want the free pancakes; I wanted scrambled eggs and bacon with light toast and coffee and that's what I got. I'm sure one day they'll offer free scrambled eggs and bacon and I'll order a short stack. Well isn't that the way of the world?



3 comments:

  1. I went to a Chinese restaurant with some friends last night. A man at the table next to us, who was eating alone, was on his cell phone the entire meal. Naturally, he had to speak loudly into it, and we had to listen to his entire conversation all evening. We kept giving him annoyed looks, but he couldn't care less. Talk about rude. This wasn't a young man either -- probably a "senior citizen." Rudeness has no age limits, it seems. Cell phones oughta' be banned driving and in restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be a different era now, but that just means that kids have cellphones with texting capabilities instead of notepads. But rudeness (a lack of respect for others) is constant. I wouldn't let my kids write notes to their friends during a family dinner, and I wouldn't let them text friends either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these backs-and-forth! Robin and Bobby, enjoy your stay with the Father and Rhoda. As far as "rudeness" goes - when Mom turned 80, shortly after Dads' passing she began to ramble on with anything that came into her head. I came to define this phenomena as being - her exercising the "octogenarian license", and thus, we siblings just let her ramble on! By the way Doc, great pic of you and Rhoda - you make me think of Lyndon Johnson after his retirement to ranch - let the hair grow out and just chilled-out from all the (mal) life experiences he lived through. And Rhoda - I never met you but on seeing this picture of you after having seen a few others - Robin resembles you! How did THAT happen? Mostly, thank you the Ross Family for allowing me the priveledge of inclusion in your dialogue. LM (readers...it's "the Flash, #4)

    ReplyDelete