Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveller of whom you asked the way." (George Bernard Shaw)

Hi faithful readers. Since I'm still shaken up from losing all 320 posts on my blog yesterday, I can't even think of something to entertain you. So, I'm posting a letter I once received from a beloved former student teacher.
"Dear Doc,
Thirty two years ago you became the single greatest influence on this scared but eager college student. I was observing a multitude of teachers in the hope of finding the 'right one' who would take me on as a student teacher. Sitting in your classroom, watching and listening to you in awe, it took me all of 60 seconds to realize that I had found a rare and special mentor. It was as if you could see through their eyes and directly into their hearts and brains as you nurtured their growth with discussion, banter, smiles, and raised eyebrows that signaled respect, affection and encouragement. You taught your students to think, appreciate, and speak their minds with intelligence and candor creating an atmosphere in which they freely and willingly addressed their ignorance of Shakespeare, their fear of public speaking, and their uncertainty about showing personal excellence in front of their peers. Your style of teaching remains achievable, but it is unsurpassed in its positive influence.
In my role as a simple observer, you offered me five minutes to prepare for taking over my first class that spring in 1972. I thought I would throw up and contemplated renewing my accounting major. But somewhere inside, I knew I had been lucky enough to find a master teacher who was enhancing his students' growth and who could perhaps do the same for a hopeful, naive, and absolutely green student teacher needing a lot of guidance and security. Under your watchful eye I plunged into this profession with a love and ability that you nurtured from the start.
You told me that day, 'It takes at least 15 years to become a master teacher.' I now know that your belief is well founded. After teaching for 30 years in community colleges, I too enjoy the satisfaction of encouraging my own students. Doc, I am so proud that you are right there along with me in the back of my heart and mind, as part of every piece of positive feedback I receive because of the inspiration you provided. Thank you for all that you are and all that you have been to me both as mentor and friend. With love, Jackie Schillig, student teacher, 1972.
I am not at all ashamed to share any accolade I receive from former students or from student teachers and colleagues. Why should I be? After all what is teaching all about but influencing in positive ways the education and life of the young men and women who are in your charge. If teachers' salaries are on or near the bottom of the totem pole, what's left is what a teacher enjoys the most from his work--satisfaction, thankfulness and respect.
(For your info: If you wish to write a comment, write just your name next to "URL" or "Anonymous": next write your comment, preview, and clidk "Publish.")

No comments:

Post a Comment