Saturday, February 14, 2009

"No man is born into the world whose work is not born with him..." (Lowell)

I just read an article on the internet where Hank Aaron told everyone that "Barry holds the record." Now that's what sportsmanship is all about--and he's right. Barry Bonds holds the home run record regardless of whether he took steroids or not. I don't know what the fuss is about steroids. Has anyone proven that steroids enhance athletic performance? I think not. I believe that Barry Bonds, A-Rod, and Roger Clemens performed on a high level because of superior talent, that's all. Another article I've read blasted A-Rod as though he was a serial killer, a really nasty piece of trash. As far as A-Rod is concerned, his former manager on the Yankees said that he never saw anyone work as hard as he did. And baseball players accused of using steroids still have to put the bat on the ball and still have to get the ball over the plate at 90 mph. Of course there are other ways to enhance performance and one place it can be done is in the weight room. Another is to practice, practice, practice. I believe as a former coach that I have the right to say these things. Why flagellate these guys to death? Why go around ringing your hands over what it does to baseball? Lighten up for god's sake. Get a life. The three that I'm writing about are incredible athletes and until someone can show that steroids enhance performance I'll believe that it is talent that does it. On the list of 104 players there must be many on steroids who have failed to perform on a high level. And then there is Michael Phelps. He took a toke like thousands of other young people have done. Why speak of him as a pariah? And then there is Pete Rose banned from baseball by betting. So he bet on his own team; the man thrilled maybe millions of people in his career. He broke Ty Cobb's record and has over 4000 hits. Banned from baseball? Not in the Hall of Fame? Ridiculous! Is there anyone out there who agrees with me? If not, I care not.
Besides athletes, I've seen Tom Lautenslager, who is modernizing our bathrooms, perform at the highest level I've ever seen from a worker. Could he be on steroids? The man can do anything. I mean anything and everything. He works here all day from about nine a.m until six or seven p.m.! The man is tireless, he works frenetically. Perhaps there should be a Hall of Fame for guys who do the work he does. Now where would they build it? Hmmm? Somewhere in Pennsylvania I suppose, or someplace else where many blue collar workers reside.

2 comments:

  1. I know better than to disagree with any of the Red Baron's opinions, so I shall not. However, I am a fact-checker, and facts are facts:
    1. Regarding Pete Rose, the Baron states: "No one has proved that he bet on his own team...." Actually, Rose himself admitted that he bet on his own team "every night". [http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498]
    2. Regarding steroids, the Baron states: "Has anyone proven that steroids enhance athletic performance? I think not." However, one expert explains: "Considering available scientific evidence and overwhelmingly consistent anecdotal reports of athletes, we can conclude anabolic steroids are associated with increase in strength...." [http://www.physorg.com/news71508517.html] Increase in strength = enhanced performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are other ways to increase strength such as workouts in the weight room. I'll stick by my belief that an athlete whose career is Hall of Fame worthy, then that's where they should be.

    ReplyDelete