Monday, April 11, 2016

The unexamined life is not worth living. (Socrates)


.....Well, hello again. A little wisdom is welcome when you're 92, and hopefully it'll give me some insight about who, what, where, and when I am. That should cover it, though all of it may not apply to me.  Anyway Plato had it, Aristotle had it, Maimonides had it, though wisdom and self examination apparently didn't do them much good. Who said "the unexamined life is not worth living"?  So, if I accept that concept, and wish to make sure that I live a little longer, I have to do some self-examination immediately: I am humorous but can't smile, a little insecure, impatient, out of control at times and hard to handle. But if you can't abide me at my worst, you sure as hell dont deserve me at my best. And though I did not get to some other stuff about me, I will refuse to drink the hemlock--I prefer diet coke.

.....It's amazing how fast time passes by. Eight years ago I was writing and speaking about Obama and Mitt Romney (sp?) Or was it Hillary? Anyway I got into trouble with some of my friends, who in our political debates, felt more comfortable forgetting the second amendment. It was wise of our forefathers to put in lots of amendments to the Constitution so we could, with convenience forget a few when the occasion called for it. (Oh, it was Socrates who said that thing about examining. But forget about the  amendments--he had to drink hemlock!).  So, I recommend walking away from any political discussions. Or claim that you are voting for Ross Perot (sp?)

.....Well my taxes are all paid, and the IRS has to send me money according to TurboTax who will do your tax return for nothing. What a country! Doing my tax return online was a lot of fun--but also a headache. You will have to get all your 1099s together in addition to a lot of other stuff about which you have to go. I'm fortunate that I happen to have all the medication to help me through the  ordeal...But remember that things are only impossible until they're not.

1 comment:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 12, 2016 at 2:04 AM

    It's always difficult to know what Socrates said, as he never wrote down a word of his beautiful thoughts, and all we have of him is stuff filtered through and probably heavily edited by Plato. It makes sense to treat the two as one philosophical entity. But yes, the quotation is attributed to Socrates.
    So glad the IRS are sending you some money! Will they send ME any, do you think? Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete