Monday, June 29, 2015

Laws grind the poor, and rich men rule the law. (Goldsmith)

.....Of the presidential wannabees I've seen in the newspaper, I've come to the conclusion that we no longer have a democracy; that is if we've ever had one.  George Washington started us off as a plutocracy actually with democratic intentions professed in our Constitution. He was a very rich man who owned a plethora of slaves. And at this hour, only the rich can run for office in America.  (So, I decided not to throw my name in the ring.)  Or, perhaps we are an oligarchy where only a small cadre of wealthy families are running the country--especially if the name is Bush or Clinton or Kennedy or even Roosevelt. He went around in a wheelchair--so, I could get around in my walker if I were President.
....Most recently, Jeffrey Winters has posited a comparative theory of "oligarchy" in which the wealthiest citizens – even in a "civil oligarchy" like the United States – dominate policy concerning crucial issues of wealth-and income-protection.  The poor will remain poor, and if the Republicans have their way with Obamacare, the sick will remain sick. And speaking of protection of the innocent in this country, they are being killed, man, boy, and child by idiots who can't wait to pull the trigger on their guns thinking they were sold in Walgreen's toy department. And what is being done about it by the Plutarchs and the Oligarchs who control our country? Nothing. And why? Because the NRA'S can't resist shooting things or people. 
 
.....I see the flag of the confederacy still flying in the United States.  Those who like it believe that the Civil War is still being fought, and by raising their flag convince themselves that the battle is being won by them; and flying the stars and bars makes them feel better about themselves.  Shooting and killing Black Americans is a warning to them, that they better get back to their duties as slaves. Look what's happening in Africa. Wouldn't they be better off in the good ole USA? I learned that recently some nut on my side climbed a flagpole in Charleston, was arrested.  His fine for such a nasty gesture was $3000. (I figure that he is on my side because I was carrying a flag with 13 stars.)

.....I think that I will stop reading the paper. There are simply too many gosh awful crushing events happening in this world. I'll just do something I like. Por Exemplo: I will not toss any tea bags into Boston harbor because they are caffeine free.  Instead, I will join the Tea Party to get up a game of Canasta.
 

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM

    Agree with every word you say, Baron dear. And in fact I was surprised to discover, in the wake of recent events, that flying the Confederate flag was legal, let alone commonplace. Why isn't it considered treasonable? The Confederacy was the enemy of the United States as we now know them: the Civil War got fought, and the Confederacy lost. Raising the Confederate flag seems to me like inviting our constitutional monarch, Elizabeth II, to ignore our constitutional conventions and resume sole monarchical powers. Mind you, she couldn't make a worse mess of running the country than the lot who've just been voted in!
    To be serious, we do have a tiny constitutional problem right now: the heir to the throne, Prince Charles, keeps writing to politicians about his views on various issues. Constitutionally, he shouldn't have any. Well, I suppose that constitutionally (tee-hee!) every human being has opinions: but one thing's certain, and that's that he shouldn't be trying to influence government action. WE fought a civil war about that, and even cut off a king's head to cure him permanently of having ideas. And guess what? It did the job! Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love when words are used in a new and unusual way! Huzzahs!

      Delete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM

    Thank you, dear, Baron!

    ReplyDelete