Sunday, June 21, 2015

"With stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain." (Von Schiller)

.....I've recently set up a "Trust" called "Norman and Rhoda Ross Revocable Trust."  You'd think I know something about Trusts, but I know little or nothing about them--or it, except that it is supposed to protect your assets from Probate. And I'm not certain about that either!  The attorney says that I should put my money into the trust.  Am I supposed to get a large bag and dump the cash into it?  That's about all I know about trusts.  Now where can I get a bag large enough for all the money I own? RH+ has a lot of bags that she got from Publix, our super market. Perhaps one of them will do.

.....At the moment, if I have a moment, I've completed all the research on the Revolutionary War, and I am ready to write the musical I will be working on.  I will run through all the "generations" since the beginning of America--their history, their war casualties, and their music.  So far I have "Yankee Doodle" as the song Washington's army loved the most.  Actually, they stole it from King George's British army.  This is the doodle with the feather in the cap called "macaroni"--not James Cagney's "Yankee Doodle Dandy", two different lyrics.  I don't know if I will ever finish writing this musical or see it performed.  Time will tell. Oh, yes, I've always wondered what a "doodle" is. My research cleared that up; it refers to a "simpleton".  The British sang it with derision, but the rebels enjoyed singing it about themselves before they got some fancy uniforms.
 
.....I'm not sure if this story has gone around the globe--the story of the killing of nine African-Americans in the church they were attending in South Carolina this past week.  They were all shot to death by a young man with hatred in his heart and a gun in his hand.  Now who is saying that it is "people who kill people" and not guns who kill people?  How many stupid people are there in this country?  And around the world for that matter?  Stupidity is running rampant on our planet, which indicates, according to Darwin, that in the evolutionary process, we humanoids have not evolved sufficiently; to the point where we are not beheading each other. However, Jefferson evolved OK; he wrote that "all men are created equal"; except for Blacks, Gays, Trans-genders, Lesbians, migrants, and the poor. 
 

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM

    Yes, Baron, it's a worrying world: there are plenty of stupid people, and plenty of horrible ones. Even more worryingly, there are plenty of people who are both stupid AND horrible, and it's a deadly combination. Right now, here in Europe, there are Muslim hordes fighting to get in, and there are plenty of Muslims here who would let them, and a lot of soft-headed non-Muslims who think it's a good idea too. Islam is a totalitarian system, and we need to fight it on all fronts. However, this isn't happening.
    Yes, we read about the gunman in South Carolina and his atrocity. A big story in our newspapers, it was. What can I say? Of course gun control is sensible, we have it here, but your country won't get resolute enough about it.
    I'm inclined to agree that we aren't sufficiently evolved enough, certainly not enough to exercise collectively the self-control rendered necessary by population explosion generated by improved medical knowledge.
    On a cheerier note, I'm so glad that your musical is taking off!
    We have family Trusts over here too: they're a tax avoidance instrument, and setting one up is euphemistically called "arranging ones affairs!" No, you won't need a bag, plastic or of any other kind, it's all done on paper, or, more likely nowadays, on computers!!
    Thanks for blogging again! Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellin Bliss Jaeger '58June 22, 2015 at 8:49 PM

    Just to say I'm back after a little hiatus. Loved the photo Joel put on Facebook for Father's Day, looked a lot like I remember you.
    (just look at us now!) Glad you went back to work on the Musical, it will be great!
    New from here. We are planning to move to Portland, O spring of 2016 to be closer to our daughter and her family. Trying to find a Senior Retirement Community is a big job!
    Ellin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellin, I've missed you, to say the least. I am so glad you wrote a comment ... finally. Luv U Ellin!

      ...for readers' info, Ellin was a bright student of mine

      Delete