Monday, June 1, 2015

About a 10th of my education--or less!

 

.....Here you are, JR: #31 Look Homeward Angel (Thomas Wolfe). #32 The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway). #33 Ulysses (Tennyson) #34 A Farewell to Arms (Hemingway) #35 The Bridge of San Luis Rey (Wilde) #36 All the Kings Men (Robert Penn Warren) #37 Lord of the Flies (William Golding) #38 The Naked and the Dead (Norman Mailer) #39 The Rubyot of Omar Khayyam #40 Paradise Lost (John Milton). 

.....These books--from #1 to #40 are the books I've read and enjoyed.  Little did I know that I was getting an education. Who needs to sit in boring classrooms with teachers who do not know their subject.  Someone who professes to be a teacher must immerse themselves into the body and soul of their subject.  It won't hurt to take a couple of lessons in acting and public speaking as well.  If you asked me now to tell you what any book is about, I doubt that I could tell you. I know, though, that it has taken root in my brain.  I still recall some memorable lines I wish I had written, such as "...the moving finger writes, and having writ moves on; nor all your piety and wit can lure it back to cancel half a line; nor all your tears wash out a word of it,"

"...A book of verses underneath a bough, a jug of wine, and thou, beside me singing in the wilderness; Ah, wilderness were Paradise enow.

Well, I don't want to get too pedantic here because Mikie may be listening, and I hate explaining things to him.  Most of  the time he will claim that I'm mistaken, whereas he has skipped over the nuances of our debate.


































4 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 2, 2015 at 12:04 AM

    Gosh! What a lot of books in that list that I've never read!! I must get reading them.
    Mike might have skipped the nuances of your debate, but by all that's true, he's got his own fantastic range of nuances, which entrance (Mike - emphasis on the SECOND syllable here, please!) and amuse me no end. As practitioners of vaudeville, you two are a fantastic double act!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 19, 2015 at 4:30 PM

    Baron! WHEN are you going to share some of your wisdom with us again? It might help cheer me up! Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Coming. I'm 91 & slow. Meanwhile check emails.

      Delete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 20, 2015 at 9:33 PM

    Okey-dokey! when you're ready then! Cuz R xx

    ReplyDelete