Monday, April 20, 2015

"Think much, speak little, and write less" (Proverb)

.....In case anyone is interested, this font is courier. I'm getting bored with the same fonts all the time. April appears to be the month for anniversaries. I don't mean the marriage kind, although
April is a good month in which to marry. However, for several events you needn't send a card. April is tax month; if you don't get your tax report into the IRS by yesterday, I believe; you are subject to three lashes one for each month leading up to April. Then April 19th marks the bombing of the Oklahoma building killing 168 people. On April 19, 1775 the American Revolution began with the battles of Lexington and Concord. In April 19,1897 the first Boston Marathon was run from Ashland, Mass. to Boston. In April 19,1951 Gen.Douglas Macarthur was relieved of his Far East command by President Truman. He bid farewell to Congress by quoting from an old ballad, "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
 
.....As a matter of interest William Shakespeare was born on April 23, 1654 and died on April 23, 1616. I believe he arranged it for that day; you might say it rhymes. I wasn't going to do it, but one of my ***** students incited my energy. I could go up to 100, but I am not inclined: 

.....21. Henderson the Rain King; (Saul Bellow), 22.Appointment in Samara;(John O'Hara), 23.U.S.A (John Dos Passos),24.Winesburg,Ohio;(Sherwood Anderson), 25.A Passage to India;(E.M.Forster), 26.The Wings of the Dove;(Henry James), 27.The Ambassadors;(Henry James), 28.Tender is the  Night;(F.Scott Fitzgerald),29.The Studs Lonigan Trilogy;(James T. Farrell,30.Memoirs of a Tail Gunner;(N.Ralph Ross)

.....And now, dear friends, acquaintances, readers, and cuzzins, I think I'll go and spend a little time (very little) on the musical I propose to write without the qualified skill. Uh O! the VA just called about my lab report and said my thyroid is elevated. Don't know if that's good or bad.

10 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM

    "April is the cruellest month" - T S Eliot, "The Waste Land") Surprised you didn't quote this one yourself, Baron, as it's the first line of this famous poem. I had to study Eliot for my school exams, and I couldn't decide if Eliot was a great poet or a colossal pseud [phoney.] (And as a matter of fact, I still can't decide!) His greatest line was "I have measured out my life in cat-food spoons," but he got some help with that from me, as the original said "coffee," not "cat-food." ("The Love-song of J Alfred Prufrock.")
    Yes, loved nos. 21-30 of your list! I think that Saul Bellow is indeed great, I've read stacks of his stuff. Nothing by Philip Roth? I thought that "The Human Stain" was amazing.
    Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM

    Mm, over here we say "bade farewell" (pronounced "bad") not "bid." Interesting are the differences in past tenses. You say "dove" but we say "dived." Here in the north of England, people say "tret" instead of "treated." And the vernacular phrase "to be all het up" uses an old form of the past tense - we now say "heated."

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM

    I've Googled "elevated thyroid," and it seems to refer to elevated levels of thyroid activity, better known as "hyperthyroidism." If you Google that, you'll find out what might be wrong with you. Or maybe there's nothing much wrong, it all depends on the levels and the patients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April 19th was also the 26th anniversary of the explosion of Turret Two onboard the USS Iowa(BB-61). As i have for so many years, I made my way to Iowa Point at Naval Station, Norfolk, VA to attend the memorial service for fallen shipmates/friends. A somber day indeed which teaches us how frail life can truly be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthie, "Prufrock" is high on my favorite poem list. It must be read aloud as if on the stage. And also on my favorites list is Robert Burns: "Ae fond kiss and then we sever; Ae farewell, and then forever. Deep in heartfelt tears I'll pledge thee; warrirng sighs and groans I'll wage thee. I'll ne'er blame my partial fancy; nothin' could resist my Nancy. But to see her was to luv her, luv but her and luv forever. Hae we never luved so kindly; had we ne'er luved so blindly; never met, never parted, we had ne'er been broken hearted." I'm writing this down from memory, so forgive me a broken line or two. Same with another poem by Burns--"To a Mouse."

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM

    Burns, yes indeed. I love "Now Westlin' Winds," a wonderful poem, about how there can be beauty and love in the world in spite of cruelty and brutality. "Avaunt, away! The cruel sway/ Tyrannic man's dominion!" It's got a tune to it too, and I can, and often do, sing it and accompany myself on piano or concertina or (most recently) ukelele. (JR - only 4 chords, on ANY instrument, if you're interested!)
    Still think "cat-food" is an improvement on "coffee" in "Prufrock," and I'm sure any ailurophile would agree with me.
    Cuzzin Jon - good for you!
    Love to all, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm certain that Elliot had a cat. "Coffee" is a better word. because T.S.chose it, and he's a better poet than you or I. Quit messin' around with Prufrock. You may use "cat" in the bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 24, 2015 at 12:31 PM

    Baron - it is quite clear that you have never tried to get a cat into the bathtub. And even if you succeeded in so doing, I'm not at all clear as to what use it could be put. Maybe E L James could come up with a few ideas....fifty lashes of the grey cat, maybe....
    Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Perhaps instead of fifty lashes of grey, make it fifty shades of grey.

      Delete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM

    Mmmm....mmmm....mmmm....Cuzzin Ruth
    PS Jamie Dornan has nice hands!

    ReplyDelete