Monday, April 13, 2015

"These are the times that try men's souls" (Thomas Paine)

.....Every now and then I get a nasty email from a friend or an enemy complaining that I didn't publish their comment to the latest post on my blog--and if you are not my friend--then I suppose you're my enemy.  Anyway writing a comment is the simplest of activities. You just write it at the bottom of the blog where it says "reply"; then click on the little blue box that says "Publish".  Get it. Then I get a copy in my email and that is where I get to decide whether or not to publish it. I publish anything and everything, so there is to be no complaining--just figure out how and where to write your comment!  If it doesn't get published, then you've done it wrong dummy!
 
.....Today is Monday and that is the venerable day that Rh+ goes a-bowling, and if you are in her way, you get knocked down--or if (perish the thought) she has a luncheon or a doctor's appointment or any other reason that keeps her from the bowling alley with her team, she gets grumpy.  So I wait in another room reading the Bible until she leaves.  The only way I get out of the house myself is it I have a doctor's appointment--or we go out for dinner.  I have no contact whatsoever with any of my friends. They've all passed on.
 
.....In the event that I get to put on a show in 2015 or 16, I just stay by the computer and do a lot of research.  My idea is to have the songs. popular to every generation that had or is having a war. I am looking for the names of every generation since the Revolution.  Suppose I will have to call that the Independence Generation and the Civil War kids, the Uncivil Generation. (tee-hee!). Then comes the Lost Generation, also known as the 1914 Generation whose youth fought in WWI. Tom Brokaw gave us The Greatest Generation whose veterans fought in WWII also known as the G.I. Generation whose children were born from around 1901 through 1924. They also went through the Great Depression. They were followed by the Baby Boomers, (1943-1960), Generation X or "Gen. X" (1960-1980), Millennials or Generation Y (1980-2000).And here we are smack in the middle of Generation Z (2000--) whose youth is now in college, I suppose. Now don't take the dates as hard face for they are not. Let's say they are estimates.                      "
 
.....I imagine that I will find a plethora of war tunes and pop tunes that entertained each Generation.  Now, I have to find skits for this show.  That's a challenge!

7 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 14, 2015 at 1:07 AM

    Well, Baron dear, I'm so glad that you are so busy with creativity at the moment. Your powers are undiminished, aet. 91, that's great!
    It 's interesting that you have apprehended, either consciously or subconsciously, that the trauma of war releases a maelstrom of poesy, music, and other creative stuff . Perhaps we're back with Thomas Mann's theory that great art comes from suffering. (Also known as the "pearl in the oyster" theory - the pearl is produced by the irritation of a grain of sand in the mollusc. Also see Orson Welles' great "cuckoo clock" speech in "The Third Man.")
    Reading the Bible AGAIN? Nothing wrong with that, but if you want a change, you might try an interesting book that I'm reading at the moment - "Any Human Heart" by the excellent Scottish novelist William Boyd. It's a colossal but wry romp through the 20th century, so it might interest you. Boyd I'm just discovering (I don't normally bother with modern writers of fiction, as I consider modern novels to have lost the plot, no pun intended) but he's good. A real find. And like yourself, the protagonist Logan Mountstuart never quite gets round to writing the Great British (or in your case, American) Novel. This might amuse you.
    If I were nearer to you, we could collaborate on the skits, but regrettably I'm not. In our population , WW I produced great poetry and song, but WW II produced great comedy. Heard of "The Goon Show?" If you can get hold of recordings of these, they might help. (The Goons consisted of Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe. Not sure their work is well-known in your country, but it is revered over here.) You might also want to get a DVD of the movie "Oh what a lovely war!" which encapsulated the British experience of that war in song and dialogue.
    That's all the help I can offer, but whether or not you take up my suggestions, I expect great things of you!
    Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I think every generation has had its own war, and some have had more than one.It will be quite the day when there are no more VFW clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest that you include one of the most patriotic songs that will always move me. It’s Yank my Doodle. It’s a Dandy.” It brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 17, 2015 at 12:51 AM

    Dear Mike - lovely thought, but didn't you tell me that your doodle was past being yanked? Yours in mystification! Cuzzin Ruth, mwah mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM

    Tee-hee! Let me come and dry them for you!!! Cuz R

    ReplyDelete