Sunday, March 22, 2015

"For knowledge, too, is itself a power." (Bacon)


.....RH+ is now about at the end of her very unpleasant experience with bronchitis.  That must be so because she and I adventured to Costco.  As for me, I felt that I was in the midst of an anthill. Not only did the people bump into you, but they also used their enormous carts to push you from the path they wanted to take.  I only witnessed people from "millennia".  Millennias tend to be as rude as it pleases them.  These are the people who walk around with their smart phones pointed in the air.  No wonder that they bump into you. I have black and blue marks over my body.  I will go to the nearest temple and pray that I remember never to experience Costco again.  I really don't know how these Millenias  got the way they are.  When I first came down here, I taught Shakespeare to 45 or 60 people from the Greatest Generation.  When I had registration now, three people signed up.  What fools these mortals be!
 
.....I wrote the above a couple of days ago because I didn't have the time to do this.  But finally I was able to take my sister and my niece out to dinner.  They both adore lobster so we went to the Bird Nest, the Chinese restaurant that sells lobster.  All four of us ordered the 2/14 lb-ers. That thing should be 2 and a quarter pounds but I don't know how to make it. Perhaps JR will send instructions. He's like Google or Bing when it comes to answering questions.  To continue: It seems rather strange that all the Chinese restaurants around here sell lobster which I don't believe is Chinese food at all.  Of course everyone ordered the lobster with sauce "on the side". I ordered it with black bean sauce, and they went for Cantonese sauce, the only thing Chinese on the table. I think my sister is still grieving over the loss of her Mickey--but she's beginning to accept it. As we all are.
 
.....I understand that no one has come forth with an "InHouse Show" for March of 2016. We have had one here for 30 years and I hate to see it come to an end. The problem is that the "Millennial" generation appears that they only like to go to the pool and talk about doctors, restaurants, partying and politics but at registration for the play I wanted to teach this year, as I've said, only 3 Millenials showed up. Didn't their parents tell them about education?  It was Socrates who said "The unexamined life is not worth living."  But I have a couple of ideas for a show. How about "An Evening with Cole Porter."? or "America's War Songs" beginning with songs of the Revolution?
 
 

4 comments:

  1. To enter the "¼" character, you need to press down on the ALT key, and then type (while still holding down the ALT) 172 using the numbers on the right of your keyboard (rather than the numbers near the top). Then when you let go, it appears. You also can just type 1/4, but it's not as cool.

    Your ideas for a show sound good. Perhaps you should select some appropriate songs, write some dialogue around them, including some jokes, and then direct the show! What could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 23, 2015 at 1:04 AM

    The lobster weight word processing difficulty reminds me of the following old but brilliant joke:-
    Customer: "Waiter! This lobster only has one claw!"
    Waiter: "So maybe it was in a fight."
    Customer: "So maybe you'll bring me the winner!"
    My late father used to say that it didn't matter how old a joke was, it was bringing it out at the right time that mattered..
    ...but yes, I too have noticed the difficulty of typing fractions, so employ percentages instead. When JR solves the problem for you, he'll have solved it for me too!
    I agree with you about the new so-called human beings. I think I discovered the ultimate in idiocy the other day. I met a girl outside my fave pub the other day, she was taking a "selfie" (photo of self on mobile phone) of her new hair-do, to send to her flatmate. I asked if her flatmate was out of town. No, it transpired that she wasn't. The two of them would be seeing each other in the flesh in an hour or so. I simply couldn't believe such idiocy. Yes, indeed she could have put the time to better use reading a speech by Shakespeare. What has happened to the human race?
    Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just to say, we live in Macau, China and yes, they serve lobster here at any of the many seafood restaurants. It's called "dragon shrimp."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 25, 2015 at 12:20 AM

    That's interesting, Mary-je, but wouldn't "monster shrimp" be more sensible? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete