Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"Valar morghulis" (All men must die)

.....Tpp (bad) that yoy weren't here a week later (or good). Unckle Mickey was buried yesterday and then everyone went back to Jaynees;s house for coffee and little sandwiches. RH+ stioooed at Dunkin; Donuts to pick up conta8pners 9f c9foffee. the "good" thing would have been that you would have gotten to see Nary Guruenm /sakkyl /firl , Sally Formanmm,, Sonnhy Weinstein, Aunt Betty  (who cried buckets and buckets), Jayne, David, Z, Mark, Sarah, Jake, Derrick, Phaedra, Shayne and husband, Ronnie and his wife who I haven't seen since Aunt Belle died,  I was happy to see all these people once again.  Brouht back many memories of when all of them were children growing up in East Meadow.  Too bad it was at the expense of mickey. Oh, yes, there were two soldier's there--one who blew taps and then both of then folded the flagwhich draped tha coffin and tave it to Betty.  If this is the extent of a military ceremony, then I don't want one. Huston and Brooks won't know too much, if anything about their Great Ganfather, anywhay. Except of course if I wrote of the more garish of my exploits in WWII which I have never told my own children or students.
 
.....In the story above, you can see the problems I have in writing this blog--me who once was able to type at 60 words per minute.  Now for a problem that RH+ is dealing with.  Ilana, her granddaughter, is graduating from Penn State and '''''''''''''''''''rRH+ will not be able to go. Never mind the air fare and the $350 hotel charge for sleeping in one of  their beds.  Besides the fact that she does not like the idea of my being alone for a few dys.hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

9 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 11, 2015 at 2:02 AM

    All noted, Baron dear, and my sympathies in your predicament. But in what language is your title? Cuz R

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the High Valyrian language of "Game of Thrones," "valar morghulis" means "all men must die." The phrase is typically greeted with the response, "valar dohaeris," or "all men must serve." And what must they serve, dear Ruth? Why beer, of course. And this can be explored further on the fourth episode of " Game of Thrones". And I must note that a brewery whose name I can't remember actually brewed a beer with the name of my title. Mnnn. Good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM

    Er....right. I'm not one for speculative fiction, but whatever floats your boat...
    Mind you, I did chance upon a good line in a book belonging to my son Manny. It went: " "Change the heads on the gates!" " We now use it as family meme, one member of the family saying it to signify to another, "Move your ass!"
    Now I look carefully at the quotations you give, the language appears to be a confection of Greek, Latin, and something Nordic, I know not what!
    If you want to talk about beer, then you should be addressing my husband, Mr M F J Grimsley MSc (Econ.) E-details on request...
    Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speculative or not, Game of Thrones is an HBO series which, heretofore, I urged readers to watch. After a while, one learns the language, which is kind of romantic. Since you don't watch Game of Thrones, I wouldn't worry about it.

      Delete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 13, 2015 at 8:18 AM

    Dear Baron, I haven't forgotten your enjoyment and recommendation of GofT - I remember wishing, when you wrote about it, that I didn't have a blind spot concerning the genre! However, if I'd known it had a lovely new language in it, I might have watched it just for that. I believe we agreed when I first became your e-penpal that language was the most interesting thing in the world! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High Valyrian is a language originating from Valyria and the Valyrian Freehold. It is no longer widely spoken due to the Doom of Valyria, although there are songs and books still sung and read in it. In Westeros, highborn children, specifically the Targaryens, are taught Valyrian as a sign of their noble education. And yes; language is miraculous. That is why I am a Linguist and a student of English literature. And BTW, you are a cousin, not merely a pen pal.

      Delete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 14, 2015 at 12:58 AM

    Aw yes, of COURSE we are cousins, silly me to forget that! It seems that the high-born children of Westeros are taught Valyrian much as the cultivated classes of Ancient Rome learnt Ancient Greek, it marked them out as the elite. It's not generally known that the emperor Marcus Aurelius wrote his (deadly dull) Meditations in Greek, and also Julius Caesar's dying words to Brutus were not "Et tu, Brute," but the Greek for "You too, kiddo?" Much love, Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobby wants to stay and visit with you that week, that seems to be a good solution to the dilemma!

    ReplyDelete