Saturday, April 18, 2015

Retirement is the ugliest word in the language. (Hemingway)

.....Well, I began my research for "GenerationsAmerica" trying to find a song that our militia sang during the Revolutionary War.  I had labeled this generation as "Generation I".  Of course the generations didn't have names back then.  I found the titles to many a song, but no music to them that would allow anyone to sing.  So, instead I wrote a short skit of our famous men attempting to write the Preamble to the Constitution.  (I could not find a skit of an event back then.) I think my skit came out as comedy--which I wanted to begin my musical.  I found plenty of battles on UTube, but nothing I cared to use.

.....At the moment, I don't know if the musical I plan to write will ever climb onto the stage.  I am aware that the Board of Directors has an idea of what it is, I hope to accomplish, but I told them that I do not know how long it will take me to finish it.  I'm old enough now not to have the imagination I had a long time ago.  At the same time, I want to write a sci-fi novel.  I have already written 65 pages, but the poor thing has been waiting at least six months to get back to it.  That's what spending time in the hospital twice does since then to a great unknown novelist.  OK, so what's next in my life besides whatever needs still to be done?  Aha! I've published the 10 best books that one can read and add to one's education.  Let's see what a vexillologist can do with that to show that the next 10 "best" books is ready to peruse:

11. Under the Volcano (Malcolm Lowry); 12. The Way of All Flesh (Samuel Butler); 13. 1984 (George Orwell); 14. I, Claudius (Robert Graves); 15. To the Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf); 16. An American Tragedy (Theodore Dreiser); 17. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Carson McCullers); 18. Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut); 19. Invisible Man (Ralph Ellison); 20. Native Son (Richard Wright). There! I found something I can do without having to think! Look for 21-30

9 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM

    Um.....I think I know plenty of songs from the time of the American War of Independence, but regrettably they are, for your purposes, on the WRONG side! You could all sing "Tea for Two," I suppose...er....yer....or "My Ship's Home from China with a Cargo of Tea"...or "Britannia Waives the Rules"....
    Liked the 11-20 list, Baron. Except Virginia Woolf. In my view, she was a rubbish writer, who'd have got nowhere if she hadn't been the daughter of Leslie Stephen (prominent publisher and promoter of literature, very influential in Edwardian England.)
    Anyway, you sound happily and creatively occupied, and that's great at your age. Or indeed any age! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not forget the source of all my knowledge, growing up.
    Adventure Comics
    All-American Comics
    All-Star Comics
    Ant-Man
    Batman and Detective Comics
    Captain America
    Captain Marvel (Shazam!)
    Fantastic Four
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Hulk
    Iron Man
    Justice League of America
    Planet Comics
    Spider-Man
    Superman
    Thor
    Wonder Woman
    X-Men

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will consider Aesop's Fables for your next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Mike, perfect credentials for throwing in your hat for President !!

      Delete
  4. Bob--Sorry, I cannot generally publish someone named Aesops Fables. And you forgot to name the book that he may or may not have written. Also, I'm flattered that you are reading my blog !! How about Omar K. ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books 21-30 is on its way..But don't hold your breath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 19, 2015 at 9:39 PM

    Mike - I get the message. When people talk of culture, you reach for your fun! Cuz R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, to cuz Ruth’s assumption, to my response to culture. I possess an inordinate amount of f**king culture.

      Delete
  7. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey is one of the best novels ever, but hardly anyone ever reads it because they've seen the Jack Nicholson movie that ruined the story (even though the movie won all major Academy Awards).

    ReplyDelete