Friday, July 4, 2014

Thissa and thatta

.....It just took me about a half hour to reset my password.  It seems that every time I try to access my blog, I have to reset the password.  This subject is not very interesting, so I'll change the subject.  I have a second great grandson whose name is Brooks Owen Hudgens.  He makes son Bobby Lou Ross a second grandfather, and I think Bobby's name has a little more zip to it. Brooks' name sounds though it came out of a Dicken's book--like Ruth Grimsley for example. So mazeltov son.
.....Well, our USA soccer team could not score a goal from Belgium in the regular 90 minutes and waited until the 30 minute overtime to do it.  But Belgium managed to score twice.  My feeling is that fatigue was the dominating factor against us.  One cannot experience or feel the enormous pressure to win on the guys on both teams. And to carry that awful burden around with them for 120 minutes is unbearable. Watching Brazil and Colombia was hard to bear because they both are the "elete" compared to the US team.  But we have four more years to wait before the next World Cup and four more years to find and develop new talent.  I am predicting that soccer in the US will become more popular than baseball.  It's safe to say it now, but I am also predicting that I won't be here to listen to the laughter when it doesn't happen!

.....Yesterday was the 81st year since my father died. It's very hard to grow up without a male figure around the house.  I was only nine years old at the time, and we moved from New Jersey to the Bronx and lived in my maternal grandparents' apartment. It had lots of cockroaches that lived there also. They made me sick.  I don't know why it was so hard for me to make friends or maybe I was somewhat different from the guys on the street.  Even now I have not any friends to talk to about what was going on in my life. Not one real friend; they have all passed away--Murray Weinstein, Leo Hartman, Normie Davidson, Irv Forman, Eric Gurien. Gone. The friends I have now are the ones who make comments on my blog.  But they are interesting friends--but cyberfriends are not the same you can hang out with now. 







3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM

    Mmm. I'll tell you a secret, Baron. In a previous incarnation, I was rejected as a character by Charles Dickens, on the grounds that I was too eccentric. He did like the name, however, and was going to use it in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood," but regrettably died before he got round to it.
    Mazel Tov on the birth of your second great-grandson, however un-zippy you might consider his name! We have no control, alas, over what our descendants call their children.. My granddaughter's forenames are Joanie Anahera, and I think that's pretty naff really. Never mind. She's a great kid: not 9 months old yet and she threw her first toddler tantrum at me the other day. I just stood there, saying nonchalantly: "Booba is not impressed by bad-tempered babies. Bad-tempered babies do not impress Booba ONE LITTLE BIT." Eventually, however, she shut up, and we got out of "Godzilla meets King Kong" mode. If you ask me, her mum (my daughter Rachel) is spoiling her rotten. Nothing I can do about that either.
    Football: I've said all I'm going to say about that.
    Your dad: tragic for him and his whole family. My dad lost his mum when he was four, and that wasn't funny either.
    Friends: I too found that making friends was hard, and it came late to me also. But it was all the sweeter for coming later. Death of friends? Well, I think I've said before that if you live long enough, you WILL outlive them. It's happening to my mum right now - she's just turned 95.
    Passwords? Too dismal to discuss, as you so rightly say.
    Sang my setting of William Barnes' "The Wife A-Lost" (in the Hypermixolydian mode) at a folk club last night. It went down well. I think I will set more of other people's poetry to music: it just seems to be a matter of opening oneself up to the words, and then coming up with the appropriate response. Responding to what's needed seems to come naturally to me.
    Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your glaring omission of my name in your latest blog, naming your good friends, forced me to take a particular action. I have removed your name and picture from my FaceBook Page. I attempted to mitigate the consequences of this act, but could not find any other method that make it seem less severe, but in the end, your photo and name were directed to cybernetic banishment simply by the stroke of my cursor.
    This will not effect the future possible restaurant excursions we manage to maintain. I cannot see withholding the critiques that you so require from time to time, so your punishment will not seem that atavistic.
    The omission has put me in a precarious condition, possibly lowering my fellow condo commandos outlook toward my pragmatic and forward thinking.
    An apology might be accepted when published in the same venue.

    Mike Herbstman

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM

    Dear Mike and Baron - judging by the way Facebook has recently been found to have been behaving, I think EVERYONE ought to ban EVERYBODY from it. Tinkering with people's entries without their knowledge or consent? To hell with it!
    Mike - I keep telling you: I'LL be your friend! Mwah mwah!!
    Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete