Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"Foul deeds will rise, tho all the earth oerwhelm them to men's eyes" (Shakespeare)

Friends, Acquaintances, Readers, Commentators, & Cuzzins: Just to demonstrate how even handed I am, that I not only publish long lists of Kudo-ers who come here with their encomiums of me, I also publish (on occasion) something, perhaps, that Mike Herbstman might have written.  But no, the following letter (from 1982) was dusted off by daughter number 2, Bonny Sue:
 
…..Dear Friend…..As you have undoubtedly heard, our beloved (?) colleague, Dr. Norman Ross has announced his retirement as of June.  In order to make sure that he doesn’t try to back out at the last moment, we are having a “Norman Ross Retirement Dinner” at our house on Saturday, May 1.  Since you are among the very small group of people who could possibly be expected to be willing to tolerate him for an entire evening in a relatively confined space, we are inviting you.  Actually we are BEGGING you to come because, otherwise, we’ll be stuck with him alone for the entire evening.   If you have any compassion for us fellow sufferers, you’ll come!  This wretched affair is scheduled for 7:30 P.M. and will consist of a full Chinese Water Torture…er, Chinese Dinner and mercifully, plenty to drink.  RSVP by April 24 since, if attendance will be too sparse, we’ll be forced to leave town.  By the way, if you don’t show up, we will never speak to you again under any circumstances  !$#%**#@

                                                                Sincerely,    Carole and Dick Eustis
 
.....The ? after the word, "beloved" means, I suppose, hopefully, that it should not be taken in the pejorative sense.  I was actually beloved by my mother. In truth, I was invited to this "wretched affair" and so were the school janitor and a couple of bus drivers.  It's a wonder, and is a fine example of my good nature, that I didn't fire Dick Eustis--whom I generally referred to as Dick Eusless. Well, to end this discussion, I have been beloved (?), to this very day by many students and colleagues. But for the benefit of non-believers, I've forgotten their names.
.....Yesterday, I witnessed the incredible destruction of the Bazilian Myth. Never before had they been beaten on their own soil, until Germany fired their missiles at them and came away with a 7-1 blitzkrieg!  It was like a "friendly" between a pro team and an amateur.  The back line of Brazil were like whirling dervishes as they watched the ball find the net. Seven to one? In a World Cup semi-final? Obviously the Brazilians had more sex than sleep the night before the game.  I can think of no other explanation.
 
 
 

                                             

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 10, 2014 at 7:03 AM

    Dear Baron - the witty and interesting missive from Dick and Carole Eustis raised a strange thought in my mind: speculation as to whether you've changed AT ALL in thirty-two years! (You are at liberty to answer, "OF COURSE I HAVE, YOU UTTER BITCH" to that one.) Here's another thought: henceforward a "Brazilian" haircut (on any part of ones anatomy) ought to mean one which the coiffeur/coiffeuse has totally messed up. How satisfying it is to contribute to legitimate language development....Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wellll, Cuz, I cannot give the response you suggest because I have not changed one iota in 32 years. My idol is Caligula, so what do you expect? As always, people eject me I suppose, because I am a social pervert. I don't even have a Facebook and Twitter account. And how bad is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM

    Well, Baron, I don't have time for Facebook or Twitter either, as they both sound unbearably trivial, plus I'm worried that I'd waste my life on them, instead of doing more important work, like setting to music the poems of William Barnes (just set another one!) And as far as social interaction is concerned, I agree with Jarvis Cocker of Pulp (and he comes from round here) who said that you only need four or five friends, and the rest of the people around you are just wallpaper. I also admire Cocker for what he said about the pressures of fame: "Don't talk to me about the pressures of success: we [Pulp] had fifteen years of FAILURE!" Btw, I don't think much to Cocker's music, but his lyrics are good. He denies that they're poetry, but I don't think that he can sustain this line of argument, because if he tried to, he'd have to start by defining poetry, and that's something that no-one else has ever really been able to do, although many have tried. The most he can say is that he never meant that his lyrics should be called or treated as poetry! But that's by the by. Caligula - well, he's a strange role model: but whatever floats your boat...Mind you, with all the talking you do, I'm not surprised that now and again you feel a bit HOARSE, har har. For the wider understanding of this joke, allow me to inform other readers not so well up on their History as some of us others, that Caligula decreed that his HORSE, Incitatus, would be appointed to the position of a SENATOR!! (But Incitatus can't have been worse than some of the Tea Party Republican senators, can he?) Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete