Friday, July 11, 2014

"Death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." (Julius Caesar)

.....Well, the World Cup games have been interesting and weird. Whoever heard of a team like Brazil losing 7-1? Who would believe that Spain, England, and Italy would not make it out of the group stage? How could the number one team, Spain, lose to Chile of all countries? I thought Chile was a Mexican appetizer.  Well, let me say that I filled out a bracket before the games and I picked all the winners, with the exception of Spain.  I picked Germany and Argentina to be in the final, and I picked Argentina to win the World Cup.  I hate Germany as much as Brazilians detest Argentina.  Argentina claims that Maradona was better than Pele. I don't agree. I just love the lyric, "Don't cry for me Argentina...".  (I have no idea why Ruthie Grimsley, my adopted cuzzin, is setting the poems of William Barnes to music. What then? Has the Apocalypse come?)
 
.....As long as we have just brought Ruthie into this monologue, she claims in a comment on the previous post, that no one has ever succeeded at defining poetry. I never sat down with the purpose of writing a definition of poetry, but I know it when I read it and hear it. There is a difference between a poem and poetry. Hallmark cards are loaded with poems--but are devoid of poetry. "...the moving finger writes, and having writ, moves on. Nor all your piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line; nor all your tears wash out a word of it." is poetry. But "...poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree" is not.  If Omar had written the words, "bring it back" instead of "lure it back", the whole phrase is damaged.  If he had (perish the thought) written the word "erasers" instead of "tears", his poetry becomes a bad poem. If he had used the word "hand" instead of "finger" you could send it to the dumpster!  From what I have written here, one can begin to define poetry. 
...And, someone, tell Ruthie that I can succeed in defining poetry, and if no one else has, then I'm the first!  But then, again, who cares?
 
.....I can say for certain that aging is not conducive to writing poetry, except perhaps, the poem "Death be not Proud" (John Donne) or "Do not go gentle into that good night." (Dylan Thomas). But when Woody Allen says, "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens," I can't say for certain that what he says is "poetry"! Perhaps Ruth Grimsley can give us her opinion. Who else, but Woody, can come up with an expression like that?
 
 

10 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM

    I haven't got a definition of poetry! If I had one, I'd have published it to the world a long time ago!! Yes, Baron, you've done well in your attempt to BEGIN (as you have yourself said) to define poetry. I await the COMPLETION of your definition. And I'm not being sarcastic. I'd love to be able to tell the world that I am the Cousin Emeritus of the man who successfuly defined poetry, and the midwife of his definition. Truly.
    I'm setting the poems of William Barnes to music because his poetry is good, and not as well-known as it should be, and also because not enough of his work has been set, or adequately set, to music. Plus I FEEL LIKE IT. IS THAT OK? 'COS IF NOT, AND YOU'VE GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT, THAT'S TOO BAD!!
    Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 11, 2014 at 11:10 PM

    I should add, since you have asked, that although Woody Allen's comment on death is funny, I don't agree with it. As someone who has suffered from a long episode of unbearable clinical depression, I jolly well KNOW that there are worse things than being dead: and I regard death as life's last great adventure. Accordingly, I most certainly want to be there when it happens. What I definitely DON'T want is all the horrible sufferings and indignities through which people seem to have to go nowadays in order to get to it. I don't want a sudden death: it's easier on the dying person, but it's so hard on the bereaved that it's almost selfish to want it. Something fatal and time-limited seems to be the best option. Ovarian cancer sounds about right: by the time it's diagnosed, it's too late to do anything about it, so the oncologists can't lengthen ones suffering. On that cheerful note, I leave you! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 12, 2014 at 8:47 PM

    Corrigendum (an example of a GERUNDIVE - Google THAT!)
    "What I definitely DON'T want ARE, etc."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 13, 2014 at 10:26 PM

    UURRGGHH! Germany have won the World Cup with one goal in extra time scored by a horrible little Kraut! And Mrs Smirk-el cuddled the WHOLE TEAM, mega-yuk!! I'm so GLAD that death is a necessary end: and it can come as soon as it likes...
    ...Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do "Gerundives" have to do with this posting????? Also, which is worse, Germany winning the World Cup or England coming home quickly? The game was SMASHING (but Germany clearly the better.) And I wanted the U.S. to win but they were given a heavier ball which made it much more difficult to kick. (And kicking (there's your Gerund!) is called Foosball.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM

    Well, Baron, you've got me there! Gerundives have nothing to do with this blog-post, except that I was obliged to make use of one. Fyi, we don't officially have the Gerundive in English: it's a participle in Latin, usually denoting some sort of imperative. The funny thing is, although we don't have it, quite a lot of examples of it have got in through the back door! Memorandum, agenda (things about which we have to DO something!), propaganda, addendum, pudenda (which literally means the bits about which we ladies have to be modest!), Amanda, Miranda - that sort of word! Mark my words, any word in English ending in -andum, -anda, -endum, or -enda will probably turn out to be a Latin Gerundive. In Spanish, you will find that "hacienda" is the same: it means "the place where we've got to be getting on with things!" Native English speakers have difficulty in Spanish distinguishing "haber" from "hacer," but they wouldn't if they knew that "hacer" is from facio, facere, feci, factum. Similar difficulties arise with the distinction between "ser" and "ester," but could be clarified by understanding that "ester" comes from sto, stare, steti, statum. (I assume that you know that a Latin verb must be quoted in 4 parts, so that you can construe it accurately in ALL uses.) Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and gerunds are nouns made verbs by adding -ing to them. And at my age I couldn't care less. I've had my fill of it. And don't forget that in linguistic grammar a noun is a word that can be pluralized by adding the proper morpheme. It's not defined as "a person, place, or thing". So there, keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 15, 2014 at 3:14 PM

    I would certainly endeavour to keep it in mind if I could understand it, dear Baron, but it's a closed book to me. Is "linguistic grammar" different from ordinary grammar? If so, how? What's a morpheme? Yes, it's true that I've not attained your age yet, and I don't know if I'll have lost interest in grammar if and when I do attain it: only, at the moment, I rather hope not. I still find it fascinating. I regard it as a species of empowerment. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM

    And as for the USA team and its heavier ball, the old proverb, "A bad workman blames his tools!" comes to mind, har har. I repeat: I KNOW that soccer has been big in your family for a long time, but it has not until recently been so across your country's population. The next four years are going to transform that, of that I'm certain. So - worry ye not! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

    OK. I've now looked up linguistic grammar and morphemes. Verdict: boring, tedious, dreary. Stating, if anything (which is disputed), what we English originating from London call "the bleedin' obvious!" Give me Gerunds and Gerundives any day, yum yum!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete