Monday, March 17, 2014

No Wisdom; Just Blather (Ross)

.....I've just spent an hour trying to find this place.  Google has changed the format of their blogs of which mine is one.  They wouldn't accept my password which I changed three times. I also had to type in some crooked letters if I could figure them out. I had to change them a few times. Some of them were too crooked, conjured up by the Devil, no doubt.  I wanted to write about my musical manuscript which was hijacked and altered by Spanish pirates, and not one ship of our fleet was there to stop them.  Well, here I am and I'll tell you what we are going to do about it.  We'll be going on the 28th and since our tickets put us in the front row, Rhoda said that she was going to boo the musical director when she comes out.  Can't wait to see that.
 
.....One of my former students out of the class of '68 who has been living and working in China for several years is coming to visit us on the 29th.  She is a talented vocalist from Brazil who, when she was last in the USA, cut several albums--in Portuguese, which is the language spoken in Brazil. (She would do well at the Olympics this summer) Magda once lived with us when she was still going to school back in the '60s. She thinks of me as her father figure.  Don't recall what happened to her father. Magda's husband is from Norway--named Knut, and wouldn't you know it, built a boat in his back yard, which is something akin to our building a stadium and holding the Super Bowl there.  As you may recall the Vikings once invaded England because there was little to do in Norway and many of them decided to build homes and live there because the residents made great scones and strawberries and cream.
 
.....Oh, I believe I forgot to tell you that I finally bought Rhoda a diamond ring, which every Jewish woman must wear.  It was for our engagement, Valentines Day, Chanukah, St. Patrick's Day, the Ides of March, Purim, Birthday, and Mothers' Day.  Now, thank the Lord, I don't have to go out and buy cards for  events which were invented by retailers.  The ring is virtually flawless and is a caret and a half.  If I knew that diamonds would become so expensive, I would have saved them instead of gold coins and CDs.  Now, nothing much else is going on.  Next time I will elucidate on the vagaries of being 90.

4 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM

    Mm, yes, naughty Vikings! When they'd eaten up all the scones and strawberries and cream, they went on to do a lot of rape and pillage. My husband looks like a Viking, and bears a Viking surname, so I have demanded a ceremonial racial apology from him (even though my family has been only three generations in this country!)
    I sympathize with the changing blog-posting format. It's so annoying when things like that need learning anew. Still, it is character-building, har har.
    Btw, does your USA readership need to be TOLD that Portuguese is the main language spoken in Brazil? I think I've known that since I was about eight when I was taught about Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Francis Drake and stuff: we had to know that the big imperial powers were Spain and Portugal, and how they carved up the world. Weird what one learns at school and what one doesn't. Somehow I don't think Tudor naval and world ambitions feature on the history syllabus nowadays...
    Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the giving of a diamond engagement ring IS a "tradition" entirely invented by a huge international conglomerate. Also, gold has been a better investment: There is an overwhelming glut of "second-hand" diamonds.

    http://www.upworthy.com/the-biggest-scam-in-america-is-on-your-or-someone-nearbys-finger

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

    Mm, Joel, good job Rochelle [Baron - Rochelle was a cousin who attended the first Reunion] is no longer with us to read this info and watch the highly interesting footage to which you have directed our attention. She was VERY proud of what she called her "rocks!"
    Sam, my son the surgeon, tells me that there were only two sorts of carbon crystal, graphite and diamonds, known to humankind until only a few years ago. Then a third was discovered, and the carbon atoms in the crystal are held together in the shape of a geodesic dome. The newly-discovered crystals are apparently called ""buckminsterfullerenes." Well - what else would they be called? Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM

    Hi Cuzzin Norman! I'm just off to Lanzarote for 11 days. This is a holiday I've needed since January: but the jet stream that cooled us all off also cooled off the Canaries (which are basically just heaps of volcanic rock and ash jutting out of the Atlantic) and there wasn't much point going. Anyway, there'll be e-facilities, so I will be able to read any words of wisdom that you write, from where I am! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete