Saturday, January 4, 2014

"There are few that die well that die in a battle." (Henry V)

.....So the French Consulate wants to medal me, and that will be at a ceremony. Suppose I tell them that I do not want another medal and they ask me why? And I will tell them I have no place to put it, and they say "How about on your chest?"  And I say, "Well all right if you're so adamant about it."  Now, I really don't know where to put another medal. I thought I had them all encased in a glassed frame which is hanging on the wall until the Navy, 60 year's late awarded me two Distinguish Flying Crosses and 10 more Air Medals.  Of course a gold star on the DFC indicates a second, and a small bronze 10 is on the Air Medal's ribbon, thankfully. Really I don't deserve any medals because I survived the war and lived my life until I was awarded a great grand son.  Those who did not survive never got the chance to live long enough to have any grandchildren.  They ought to receive these medals posthumously. They are the true heroes.  A friend of my son, Bobby, finishes his emails with the following tribute:

A veteran - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Well, enough on that subject; I never want to discuss it; I don't like to discuss it. So, I'll hop into my Sopwith Camel and fly around until I cool off.  Maybe I'll attack the enemy and shoot down a balloon or two.  Down here there is a lot going on. For instance, Mayor's Jewelry in the Town Center mall just called and said the work done on her diamond ring is done and that we can come and pick it up. I guess the ring celebrates our Engagement, our 30th Anniversary, her upcoming birthday, and my upcoming birthday.  RH$$ deserves a ring such as I bought her for all she does around her for me. I was I little frightened when I learned that a two carat diamond ring there goes of $35,000! Rhoda told the clerk that it would be too gaudy on her finger seeing that she was built so slight. We settled for something we could withstand.  I had no clue that diamonds went for that kind of money.

The next thing we have to get is something that really disturbs my psyche  The VA called and said that they have the "companion" wheelchair my doctor ordered for me.  It's a very light chair; one that RH! could handle easily and put in the trunk of the car.  I really need something like that because I'm getting to the point where I can't go too far with the walker.  I will detest getting into a wheelchair; it will be reminiscent of my father; it will be super disturbing and traumatic, but there is nothing I can do about it. I will need a chocolate ice cream soda after the experience.

 





  

10 comments:

  1. Diamonds are a girls best friend, however they always put a hurting on a guys wallet. i guess that is the way it is supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

    Baron, if you whinge any more about your Froggie medal, I shall quote the "Scottish Play" and say, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much!" It's just wonderful, and I suspect you know it, so please just enjoy it! And yes, you DO deserve your medals: they aren't handed out for nothing as you very well know. Posthumous medals are regularly awarded anyway, and additionally I'm certain that your deceased comrades-in-arms wouldn't begrudge you your due honours. If your reasoning were followed, no war survivor would ever get a medal!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally caught up with your last 4 posts. I am outraged that they are cutting some important music and messing with the script.
    After sending a letter outlining your rights (which I think you have done), I'm afraid you need to "let it go." Your upcoming Surprise Party is too important for you to damage your health and blood pressure with this stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM

    Baron - what is the nature of your query? Do you not know what "whinge" means? Or are you cross that I'm alleging that you're doing it? If it's the former, it means "complain" or "grumble." If it's the latter, well, sorry, but I'm standing by what I said! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Whinge" must be a UK idiom. Never heard the word. So why not just use the word "complain"; it's not so fancy Insofar as the medal from France is concerned I can do without it. No one will know what it is, anyway. They don't even know what the DFC is--the highest medal, the Navy awards next to the Medal of Honor. When the Medal of Honor is awarded here, most of the population goes "Ho hum".

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM

    OK, have it your way, Baron! I now agree with you: the French medal is rubbish. Happier now?* As for "whinge," I believe it came from Australia. It's a good word for "complain," being just a bit onomatopoeic, I think. You can hear a whiny tone in it. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth
    *No, didn't think so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 8, 2014 at 1:04 AM

    I've now Googled the origin of the word "whinge," and it appears to have come from a perfectly well recognized Anglo-Saxon word, hwinsian. But I first heard it from Australians who thought that we English complained a lot: and called us "Whingeing Poms!" Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I can confirm that "whinge" is heavily used in Australia. A "bloody whinja" (the pronunciation in "Strine"*) is not something you want to hear about yourself. *Strine=Australian (language); Ozzie=Australian (person)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 10, 2014 at 11:47 PM

    Some interesting info about the arrival of Yiddish words into our vernacular: "kosher" and "shmaltz/y" are acceptable slang words in English in Britain. However, "shicker," drunk, is unknown in vernacular English here: but in Oz it's in common use. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete