Friday, January 3, 2014

Enough with the medals, already! I'm trying to forget WWII.

.....I don't know whether or not you'll be able to read this color.  I hope so because in over 500 posts to this blog I have never used it; but I like it.  And it will be very useful on St. Patrick's Day, whoever he is.  I believe he ran all the snakes out of Ireland or I stand corrected.  Anyway, I am writing this blog today because I have no other news than I received a call from the French Consulate informing me that they are awarding me a medal, a French one.  The young lady on the line said that I will be receiving a letter indicating what medal it is, and then another letter indicating when and where the ceremony will take place.  Where have these French been for the past 60 years?  Well, that's enough wearin' o' the green.  I can barely read it myself.

.....Ok, I know for a fact that this color is much better on the eyes--or not.  I guess this is the day for surprising phone calls. I received one from the VA Medical Center in WPB telling me that they have the companion wheel chair for me that I asked my doctor to order.. I was shocked.  I only spoke to my doctor last week, and told him I was going to need one.  As you know, I gave RH+ my car keys.  I always felt that I would never get into a car that a noventagenarian (I just made a new word) was driving, and so not to be a hypocrite, I gave her the keys.  Now, attached to the back of my car is a lift for my scooter, and since RH* does not want to drive my car, we opted for the wheel chair.  I can no longer am able to walk any distance with my walker, and since we cannot schlep the scooter around, and since we like to go to the mall once in a while, the wheel chair is the solution--even though I have no desire to follow in my father's footsteps--er, solution.  It will be a very light weight chair that RH! can put in her car.  Damn! 

.....Thank goodness for the VA. I get my meds from them; I get my hearing aids from them; I get my dental work from them; I get my equipment needs from them.  Since all of these things cost a pretty penny without the VA, I am glad that they have the funding.  If I bought these hearing aids privately they would cost $8000.  Speaking of costs, I just bought a diamond ring for RH$ and spent enough money on it so that I could have bought a 2014 Malibu for cash with it.  But you know--diamonds are a girl's best friend.  Or so they say.

7 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM

    Well, I'M impressed with the Froggie medal, even if you're not, dear Baron! I think it's just lovely, so enjoy.
    St Patrick was a continental geezer called Patricius who came to Ireland in the Dark Ages, and converted the Irish from Paganism to Christianity. He is said to have rid Ireland of snakes, but there is no hard evidence for this. It's a small island, so maybe they were never there in any numbers.
    Is the word nonagenarian the proper word for a 90-99 year old person? I must look it up! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM

    Yup - just been on Google. St Patrick lived and worked in the 5th century: there weren't any snakes in Ireland then, and never had been: and "nonagenarian" is the correct word for someone in their nineties. Sorted! Cuz R xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought a "companion wheelchair" was something you hook onto your scooter, so a friend can travel with you -- like a motorcycle sidecar. Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. A "companion wheelchair" is one who pushes you around and talks behind your back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baron, you should not be surprised that the French are "finally" getting around to award you a medal. After all it probably took 50 years of internal bickering just for them to admit they needed the help getting "liberated" in WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .At least they make good pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

    I agree with both of you. Cuzzin Jon - did you know that France was overrun three times in 75 years by the Germans! Why? Because the Frogs were always quite literally out to lunch! Which, Baron, is where the superb cakes come into play! Love to you both, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete