Saturday, August 25, 2012

"It is cowardice to commit suicide" (Napoleon)

.....I recently learned that there are 18 suicides every day in the armed forces.  This is a shocking number.  I do not remember anything like that about suicides in WWII while I  was a member in the military.  I did not feel anything like that, but the truth is that every time I entered our B-24 for a combat mission--it was in reality a kind of suicide.  However, I do remember the times after the war that I was suicidal.  I don't know why, but for some reason I feel embarrassment when I admit that to anyone--and especially now that I write about it.  Following my discharge, when I went back to work in a bank as a teller,  it didn't take very long before I felt like a dead fish in stagnant water.  Banking was not my thing--I didn't know what to do about it.  I was having nightmares and flashbacks about my war experiences, and I simply felt a huge emptiness in a life which seemed to be going nowhere.  I lacked an education and could not afford college costs.  After attempting a leap from my bedroom window, my sister screamed at me and pulled me back.  (I wasn't about to jump, anyway).

.....This all happened while I was scheduled to be married on June 15, 1946.  Invitations were printed, but the marriage on that day never happened.  My mother insisted that I go to see someone for help in a VA hospital in the Bronx.  I told her that there was nothing wrong with me, but to please her I went and vowed that I would be back shortly.  What happened was that after a session with a psychiatrist there, I was admitted to a "lock ward" (bars on the windows) and was kept there for six months.  Suicides must be prevented, and can be if family, teachers, friends observe the signs of people who are suicidal; no plans for a future, severe depression, avoidance of contact with people, angered easily, loss of appetite, sleeping long and frequently.  At the time I went to the hospital I was diagnosed with "battle fatigue" which today is known as PTSD.  When these signs are apparent, especially with a veteran, he must be urged to get help. It must be insisted upon.  I have been kept on an even keel by medication and psychiatric treatment in VA hospitals for the past thirty years.  I still go.  Not that I enjoy it, or need to. I just like listening to the radio in my car during the 45 minutes it takes for me to get there.

.....Besides wanting to die after coming home from war, I also wanted to die following surgery on my hips.  During that time, the pain I felt was too much to bear--even with the morphine in the pain pills I was taking.  I know that I was taking what I think was called oxycoden (sp).   The nurses I see in doctors' offices always ask to say what the level of your pain is "from 1 to 10" with 10 being severest.  Well, my pain during my recovery was off the chart.  I felt the only way to relieve me from that pain was to die.  Really. But, unfortunately I didn't know how to do it. I thought maybe with a firecracker or my starter's pistol.  I'm OK, now, though, and I'm glad I didn't know how to die, because I'm about to be a great grandfather in a couple of weeks, and I've recently become a grandfather-in-law.  Also, if I were to die, I would never be able to have another bagel and vegetable cream cheese nor spaghetti and meatballs, or even gefilte fish with horseradish.



4 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netAugust 26, 2012 at 5:13 AM

    As I am chronic depressive, dear Baron, I can state that you have every sympathy for all your sufferings. But there's a very fine line between wanting to live and wanting to die. And it's an easy matter to convince oneself that the world would be a better place without ones presence. People whose mental state drives them to suicide can't really be called cowards. People in their right mind who commit suicide, for example, through failure in business and inability to face the resultant obloquy and poverty, well, that's a different matter. I'm so glad, btw, that you're out of pain with your hips, and I'm happy for all your family developments. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite posts. These are the ones I look forward to and get the most out of in terms of insight and connection. My specialty at John Jay College was stress management in law enforcement. Suicide was the topic I wrote and lectured about most because it's a major problem in law enforcement, especially larger departments. Everything you say supports what I found in my research. The only thing I would add is that bureaucracies like military and paramilitary organizations greatly exacerbate the problem by showing a callous disinterest and disregard for those suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Our society is often similarly insensitive and the isolation and rejection a PTSD sufferer experiences too often leads to disaster. Sorry to prattle on but the post moved me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netAugust 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM

    Bob - liked your comment, but I'm not sure that you mean "disinterest." I think you mean "lack of interest." Uninterested means not interested: disinterested means impartial, as in not having any stake in the result of something. At least that's how it is over here. Best wishes, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuz, According to dictionery.com disinterest means absence of interest or indifference.

      Delete