Monday, March 14, 2011

2nd day at the Cuckoo's Nest

It's me, Mike Herbstman again.  Norman is not up to dictating the latest news, and is leaving it up to me.  Nurse Rachitt should be around shortly with our meds, which keep the occupants compliant enough to handle. 
For a while, I thought the 3:AM blood collection was cancelled, but I was awakened this morning, where I accepted my fate, while The Baron chased the nurse away and told her to return at a decent hour.  She obliged, since the Bill of Rights for hospital patients, allow for this decision.
I'm alone in the room awaiting the return of the Baron from his first physical therapy session.  When a hip is broken in a few places, any body movement is a horror and I'm, sad to post that placing my friend in the wheelchair for transport caused him extreme pain not completely alleviated with pain pills. I feel for him.
When unincumbered by pain, to keep our reputation intact, we are trying to organize a mass escape with a run to the wall with knotted sheets.

4 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 14, 2011 at 6:41 PM

    Hello Mike - when I got harried by Nurse Ratchitt, I said to her: "Stuff off, you ruddy key-jangler!" When she objected to this, I enquired, "What are you going to do about me? Give me 28 days loss of remission?" Since places in NHS hospitals are in so much demand, there wasn't any satisfactory answer she could give to this question, so she retired completely baffled from the fray! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some NSHS precedent for the Baron's second shipboard fall. He will remember the delightful, erudite, non-phony Stu Palmer, a Princeton graduate.

    Long ago, when flu shots were in their infancy, I stood behind Stu in line. Having never had such a shot before, I asked Stu whether this was his first time.

    "Oh, no," he said, "I got one last year."

    "And what happened?

    "I got the flu."

    "Then why are you here this year?"

    "Because I want to see if it will happen again."

    Unfortunately, Stu Palmer did get the flu again.

    VIKINGS FOREVER!!!!

    Sorry about the pain, Baron, but you are obligated to make a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vast numbers of former students have sent their prayers, love, and support to THE MIGHTY ONE. All this affection and appreciation is deserved, but you must return something to us. A full recovery and a return to better health is REQUIRED.

    By the way, the late Moose Reardon fully supported you for the Hall of Fame. He also saw that Joel R. deserved the honor as well. The Moose had no right to die. We needed him, and not just to support J.R.

    If Joel had played on a soccer team with better personnel and especially a better coach, he would be regarded as one of the best Vikings ever.

    The selection committee is too concerned with players who made All-whatever, which is frequently political.

    Some GREAT players played on my teams, and not just at North Shore. There is no way that Joel Ross would not start for any team I coached, and that is not just because I liked him. Joel is, was, and always will be, a gamer. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Fred R. Congratulations again to Joel for surviving a season with a coach whose heart was not in the sport. If you love soccer, which Joel did and does, it is particularly painful to play for a coach who could care less.

    ReplyDelete