Saturday, January 22, 2011

"You can't go home again." (Thomas Wolfe)

.....My bookcase is getting rather crowded.  When I published "Memoirs" I thought that it was the bees knees--as Bonny would say.  Now, however, I have a few more that I had not counted on.  It's just that when The Blog got too big and to the point where I did not want it to be lost if something happened to the computer, I thought it would be a good idea to publish what I had.  Not that I believed anyone would ever buy it; it's just a matter of some history of what it's like to retire to Florida and for posterity. Perhaps one or two of my descendants would be curious about how their gggggrandfather had lived and thought.  And I do believe if someone who never read my blog would read "Pater Noster in Condoland" they would find it quite interesting.  But now I have Vol I, II, III, IV and V!  Not only that, but also The Blog grew like Topsy to "Fires in the Heart" volumes I and II and then the latest, "Condo Credo".  It's really a journal, or call it a diary, dating from August 2007.  They are books that deal with a pot pourri of events in the Baron's life.  I might even start reading the books myself.  So, counting all the books including the book of poetry "Shadows in the Sunset", there are ten on the shelf.   I don't know when it will stop.  I tried to quit writing Homeoftheredbaron.blogspot.com-- but had to continue because my readers were pissed.... Thank you.


.....Speaking of my life, I was stunned to get a call the other day from a very good friend whom I know from my salad days in the Bronx.  His name is Al Oran--changed from Oransky.  Al was one of the Bronx boys in our gang.  We were known as the "Apaches" and we all wore shiny green satiny jackets with the gang's name on the back.  The Apaches used to play stickball against other teams from other neighborhoods.  We also had a cellar club in one of the buildings and Al and I used to bring girls down there where we would dance to the tunes of Glenn Miller and try to get around "the bases".  We just about got to first base...if we were lucky.  And sometimes we were very lucky.
Al was a good looking guy and he married a good looking girl named "Sheina".  Al now lives in Clifton, New Jersey.  The other guys in our gang...er club were Bernie Lerner, Jack Richman, Aaron Fried, Leo Hartman, Normie Davidson, & Billie Lerner.  I believe that Al and I are the only guys left.  Unfortunately, I don't know what became of the cellar club, the green jackets, and stickball.  Those were the days my friend; we thought they'd never end.............

6 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virign.netJanuary 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM

    As an Englishwoman, I comprehend very little detail of the "bases" in sexual behaviour: in fact I'm only dimly aware that they constitute a metaphor for sexual achievement. If someone would tell me what the bases actually are, I'd be ever so grateful. However, it needn't be in this public arena. Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. As with most questions, Wikipedia often has the most appropriate answers:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_metaphors_for_sex

    Since you probably do not understand the play or rules of baseball, I was going to translate these sports innuendos into cricket terms (which, as you may recall, I played back in the day). I am aware that most Brits understand cricket even less than they do baseball, but I thought that you would be more comfortable not understanding a native metaphor rather than an imported one.

    However, even though cricket provides useful euphemisms such as "touching the crease" and "sticky wicket," when I got to "silly mid on" and "googly," I realized that cricket, like most things British, do not lend themselves to sexual banter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuz Ruth, there is nothing vulgar about the "bases." First base is taking a girl to dinner. Second base is going to the movies, a play, a dance, etc. Third base is stopping for a snack after the event. Home plate is taking the girl to her residence and being rewarded with a kiss on the cheek.

    Young people have always followed these customs and they still do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If those are the kind of girls PB dated, then it's unfortunate that he missed out on his youth by not living in the Bronx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 23, 2011 at 5:24 PM

    Nice idea, Phil, but I can't see it catching on. Cuz Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. A child has more fun in childhood than an adult has in adultery. And with fewer nasty consequences.

    ReplyDelete