Friday, January 21, 2011

"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." (Doyle)

.....I've been going to rehearsal for the "in-house" show scheduled for the end of March.  I was supposed to do "Trouble" from "Music Man" and "If I Were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof."  However, "Trouble" has been cut from the show, and they are trying to get "Rich Man" down to three minutes. There is no way in hell to get that song down to three minutes without sending Tevye to the Poor House again.  There are several other solos in the show, and I imagine the point is not to let the show go beyond an hour and a half...or perhaps two; I'm not sure.  I've already cut two verses from the song, and it's still decent.  However, if the pianist or the director or whoever insists on cutting more of it, I will have no objections, but the show will have to get along without me.  There are a couple of people doing two songs, and if the idea is to keep the show moving it seems to me that a logical solution would be to take a song away from each one of them.  Then my solo can go the extra mile.
.....And another thing: I don't need to rehearse this song; I know it very well; I sing it in the shower and in the elevator where the acoustics is/are marvelous!  Well, we'll see what happens on Tuesday next. Stay tuned.


.....Speaking of in-house shows, there is a kind of show going on in our house and before it gets good reviews, it is at present getting bad reviews.  RH+ has decided that the "look" we have, after 27 years, is outdated.  So, we've had wood put on the den floor instead of carpeting and it looks very 2011; especially with the white shutters on the window in place of blinds.  Now, the 27 year old green "astroturf" we've had on the terrace is gone and tile has been laid down there.  And she just bought a ceiling fan to cool her off while she is reading from her kindle on a lounge chair.  But at the moment nothing is completed and everything we had on the terrace is now in the living room and it is impossibe to watch TV there.  Tom, the guy who is doing all the work, can do anything at all for a house or apartment.  He's a pure construction genius, no doubt about it.  He carpents, he paints, he tiles, he builds closets, he moves furniture, he electrics...in short he does everything but write a blog.  I don't get paid for writing this blog, but he gets paid very well for whatever he does.  Why couldn't I have his talent instead of mine--which is worthless. I'm just a poet; and RH+ is a Baroness with free Reign--or is it rein?



2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the show director can arrange to have a shower stall constructed for your Fiddler piece -- that way, the acoustics will be better, and you can cut off some time from the song because Tevye doesn't need the time to move around the stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen a video of the Baron as Tevye in FIDDLER, I can attest that nobody does it better. To cut time from any of his songs is an artistic disgrace.

    If the Baron left the show, the audience would be deprived of great pleasure. If he stayed, the Red One would not have the joy of full expression.

    Joel has a very practical compromise, but I suspect it will not fly.

    The only just solution is to replace the director with the most qualified person--the Baron himself.

    To the barricades!

    ReplyDelete