Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"The friends thou hast...grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel" (Shakespeare

.....Just received permission from Ruthie to publish her response to RH+'s letter.  Since it is quite interesting in learning how an Englishwoman goes about having some fun.  I, for one, did not know that besides her literary talent, she also plays an instrument.


Dear Cuz Rhoda
Thanks for your lovely long email, and for your kind concern for my health.  I'm very pleased to report that at the moment it's improving, and the clouds are lifting.  I only hope it stays that way!
Golly gosh!  You do sound an energetic lady!!  You get so much done in the course of your normal life that I just want to creep away and hide in shame. 
Yes, I did know about the gated senior community in which you live.  For some reason, it was my mother (Mrs Bertha Sokoloff) who told me about it.  How she got to know, I'm not sure, but I expect that one of the Baron's kids told her all about it at the famous Washington Marcovici Reunion.  You might have heard about this great event that took place over a decade ago: Joel and my first cousin Peter Martin discovered the family link and set up the meeting for us all.  There I met the famous four offspring of the Baron, and your predecessor, Thelma, to whom I am related, and heard so much about the Baron that interested me that I was moved to write to him and ask him to be my penpal.  That's how it all started: probably you know most of that already.   It is absolutely the case that the Baron and I have never actually met, and likely as not never will meet.  But we have forged a strong friendship, as you know.
Yes, you do sound as though you lead a very energetic life.  I have no talent or inclination whatsoever for home improvements and interior decor, and I very much envy people who can hack it.   The view from your home to the lake sounds marvellous, however.
As for this marvellous organisation of which you are President - what can I say?  Your work is exalted and very necessary, and all credit to you for doing it.  I just potter along in a more humble way.  I was doing some voluntary work for mentally ill people for a while - conversation and singing songs with them and playing the piano.  I can put in extemporary chords for all sorts of music, mainly by ear.  People say it's clever, but it's really only practice!
Since I started this email, I've received your next email, which was about the Lady Grey tea.  So glad you are enjoying it!  And it's been wonderful to be able to spread the word.
Anyway - back to activities. Last night I felt well enough to go to a folk music session in a pub, and it is good to be back on the scene even though I'm not fully recovered.  Again, I'm on keyboards, and others play guitars, violins, mandolins, and all manner  of instruments.  And we all sing along. Great fun!  Where there is no keyboard, I take my concertina and play chords on that.  To take a keyboard anywhere takes a whole team of roadies, but a concertina you can just throw over your shoulder and get to where the action is on the bus.
We have very good public transport in the city where I live, so it is like a different world from the US where you really need to be able to drive.  I can drive, but my current medication precludes me from doing it, so I don't run a car and I use public transport a lot.  And here in England, it's free of charge for senior citizens.  Free transport - can't be bad!!
I'm so glad you don't have to cook any more!  I still have to do quite a lot: my husband and my youngest son Manny (who lives with us) seem to need quite a lot of feeding, and don't seem to be able to feed themselves.  At Xmas I roasted a turkey, and at New Year, a goose.  Roast goose is yummy: have you ever eaten it?  I wouldn't say roasting a goose is difficult: it's just a bit nerve-wracking as it's very expensive, so it's more of a heartbreak if things go wrong. (Which hasn't happened for many years, you'll be glad to hear!)
Well, tomorrow there is a folk music session at a different pub, and if I feel OK I'll go.  They have a real piano there, so no need to bother with either an electric keyboard or a concertina. 
The big fave activity to which I really would love to resume is writing - poetry and prose.  But, when I'm not well, there is no inspiration and there is no power for execution of the work.  But here's hoping that in time they will return.
With many thanks for your kind correspondence:  stay well!
Cousin Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment